Managing blood sugar with alcohol

Gbudge

I have type 1 diabetes. I don't drink much but when I do go out I make a meal of it. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on managing blood sugar levels because when I test in the morning it can range from 4 to mid 20s. I usually drink the same (pints then towards the end of the night vodka mixers).

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, if you can download the carbs and cals app to your phone its great for working out carbs I use it whenever im not sure of anything, its not free but is well worth it

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It depends what you drink. A gin and slim line tonic has no carbs and will bring your blood sugar down. A pint of vintage cider has the same carbs as a large bowl of porridge, and a few of those will almost certainly send your BS rocketing!

Chrisspiller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is a great topic! I'm doing my research properly sitting here enjoying my 18 year old Laphroaig! I also take on board the carbs advice and may have to have a dinner kebab later (purely medicinal of course!)

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Chrisspiller said:
This is a great topic! I'm doing my research properly sitting here enjoying my 18 year old Laphroaig! I also take on board the carbs advice and may have to have a dinner kebab later (purely medicinal of course!)

Superb choice! :clap:

Chrisspiller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a big fan of peaty Whiskies, however, I love Highland and Speyside Whiskies as well. I also find that a small Whisky or two after dinner has a beneficial affect on my blood sugars, I never have too much, certainly well within the government guidelines, and only a couple of times a week, but it seems to help!

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dalwhinnie;) ( when flushed)
Aldi speyside ( the usual suspect).

Diabetic12345

I have never had a probable with alcohol just enjoy it like anyone else... Last time I went out I was drinking a wide range of things but a lot of it was vodka and also I was taking shot.... Just eat before and what I do is keep some type of sweets in your pocket and kept to vodka or cider,, beer never goes will with me

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
I have found Vodka and slimline or Gin and slimline a refreshing change from Brandy and Orange juice which obviously doesn't help my BG...

I didn't like Vodka (my pisshead partner used to drink it) and my Mum used to drink Gin.... *Shudder*... Bad memories of both.

But now I quite like them .....

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Vodka ans soda - ****** all carbs ! ( sod the partner ! )
Oh and some freshly squeezed lime juice....

Mel24

I advise to always eat when drinking I had the misfortune of drinking vodka and black current but left it too late to eat as one minute was walking home and the next I was in an ambulance recovering from a fit from low blood sugar... That was when I was sixteen... Now I always have something in my purse to snack on when drinking.

jake60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The way I understand this illness so far is I've had to move onto the hard stuff.
No more pints or bottles of wine ... Vodka all the way or a nice Irish.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .

Hope you don't mind but I have relocated this thread into here .
As given the topic discussion its better suited here .

Thanks Anna.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
MCMLXXIII said:
Dalwhinnie;) ( when flushed)
Aldi speyside ( the usual suspect).

Bhunahbain for me, or Woodforde Reserve Bourbon,
If it's a while between duty free trips then I favour the Sainsbury's own brand single malts

I could be persuaded into a dalwhinnie or a glenkinchie or..... at the right time of day though

Muir

In the same boat as whisky lovers.
Any manner really...can't distinguish the palate of an 7£ Aldi bottle to that of a 20yo Glenlivet :lol:
Cola goes great with whisky too imo.