Iphone Scanning app for carbohydrate counting

tiffany27

Hi

I am a medical student at The University of Birmingham . I just wanted to do some market research. I have a family member who is diabetic and counts her carbohydrates to calculate her insulin dose, but know that she takes quite a lot of time to calculate her carbohydrates for her meal and has to look them up in her book as well as carry the book, calculator and weighing scales around with her as well as individually calculating the values and calculating her insulin. She has to guess some values and may even calculated her readings wrong.

I was just wanted to know any views towards an app ( iphone / ipad/ android) that would scan a barcode on food (this would have be added into the barcode by companies) to find out nutritional information e.g. carbohydrate value to calculate this for total carbohydrates for a meal and the insulin dose required for that meal. I know apps have books of products in to choose and calculate but this still requires the user to search for the product which might not even be the correct one.

I just wanted to know whether this idea would be useful to people who carbohydrate count for their diabetes and calculating their insulin doses rather than looking up products in books - the exact product would inform you of its values.

Furthermore if encouraged restaurants could calculate the carbohydrates of their meals and put this in a barcode on their menus (McDonalds could do this also) and then the barcode could be scanned and the carbohydrates could be found and insulin doses required could be calculated without having to ask staff in restaurants for the values.

Sorry if i haven't explained my concept product very well but it would be useful to know if this would be useful to develop at all ?

Kind Regards and i look forward to any comments.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
A person wld still have to guess weight if they had say 1/2 packet of peanuts...

To me it is just better to look up on a pack and calculate... I'd be bliwed if I wiuld carry my iphone around scanning more barcodes.. Tescos etc nowadays one hand will have a hand scanner in..

I certainly dont carry around a book or weighing scales??? A diabetic has to be able to relax and live as any other person in our communitys... If I'm out and say wanted to have say a mcdonalds.. They have cho values on their packaging..

The only time I use scales is to weigh out ingredients at home.. And if I make say even a salad I will sometime weigh products.. But my scales are preprogrammed.. So to be honest I personally wouldnt find any use of your idea in diabetes living with me...

TT17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think i would have a use for your idea either because a- I don't carry scales around because it probably is just unnecessary weight and probably wouldn't give that much of an advantage b- the carbs and calse ipod/iphone app is pretty good an contains more info than the book c-i would want to be more relaxed when eating out. To be honest i don't see what your app gives which the carbs and cals app doesnt

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I like the idea. As you describe it, it's a quick easy method of a barcode scan from your phone and voila there's your carbs. I like the carbs and cals book and app but it does not include a lot of foods on shelves (obviously or else it would be massive) and also you do have to find the food as you say. Also, it may encourage more restaurants to start telling their customers the nutritional values of their food - that can only be a good thing. Best of luck.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Mc Donalds already print all their carb and nutrition values on the back of the paper that they put on their trays. Easy enough to ask at drive thru's for this puece of paper. Greggs the Bakers also do a nutrition value in their outlets.
I dont eat out that often, and when I do I just guestimate and correct if necessary.. Above website.. Myfitness is brilliant.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Myfitnesspal already does that - it's free, and quite a lot of us on this forum already use it.