New to Metformin

tigers1941

I have started taking Metformin 2 months ago and I have no side issues with the tablets, but my mmol/l readings are higher before breakfast than 2 hours after my lunch time meal, I must find a way to get them lower in the morning.
My mmol/l readings for the last 3 days have been, morning first, do you have any advice to give me.
7.6 7.2
7.8 6.1
7.2 5.0

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Don't worry too much about the morning readings as they can be affected by overnight liver dumps of glucose (the Dawn Phenomenon). The 2 hour readings are a good guide and a help with the right food and then the HBa1C blood test you will have during the year will tell you your average and whether you are staying within NICE guidelines.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, i too am new to metformin and i have come to the conclusion that my body is one of those bingo games where you turn on the bg monitor and a ball with a random number pops out of my finger. my morning readings are always 10ish and they slowly drop throughtout the day no idea why. sorry i know this is no help at all :(

tigers1941

Daibell said:
Hi. Don't worry too much about the morning readings as they can be affected by overnight liver dumps of glucose (the Dawn Phenomenon). The 2 hour readings are a good guide and a help with the right food and then the HBa1C blood test you will have during the year will tell you your average and whether you are staying within NICE guidelines.
Thanks Daibell I hope through time I will get a clearer picture, my GP has given me test strips on prescription and suggests that I test my levels twice a week.

lainygeo69

hi everyone am new to forum,av just been put on 2000mg 0f metformin absolutely feeling sick as a pig,no sure if its the tabs,thinking bout just stopping them,then go back to doc next week,my diabetes is very unstable at the moment,finding it really hard to adjust to changing diet,and finding it hard to eat regularly s av never been big eater :(

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thats alot of Metformin to be put on at once, maybe if you ask your doc if you could adjust the dose slowly.

TMG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Chocolate
Hello :wave:

I have was diagnosed prior to Christmas and given twice daily 500mg Metformin by a newly qualified GP.

I ended up just totally not sleeping, feeling sick all the time, experiencing pains in my feet and toes, none of which had I been experiencing previously and because of the lack of sleep ended up feeling really depressed...I returned to my GP and he stopped my meds altogether and re-ran the tests and it turned out that the previous guy had been a little over zealous as I was actually on the high side of pre-diabetes at 6.5 :(

In order to not topple over the precipice my GP and I have decided to put me on 1 x 500mg of Metformin per day to be taken around the time of my main meal, and retest in 3 months.

My sleep, I now know, is dependent on when I take the tablet (if I take it after say 7pm - NO SLEEP)

What I am basically trying to say is if you experience ANY problems see your GP and discuss the options, because as brilliant a these people are, each of our bodies can and will react differently to medication and may in many cases need adjusting to get the best results. :thumbup:

Tracey

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Advising someone with diabetes to simply stop taking prescribed medication is both dangerous and irresponsible.

There are plenty of foods that can help with diabetes, including ladies fingers (also known as okra, gumbo and bhindi). However they are not a replacement for medication and do not reduce blood sugar. Because they contain a high proportion of fibre they do not raise blood sugar a great deal, plus they also contain a small amount of soluble fibre which slows the rate at which the stomach absorbs other carbs eaten in the same meal and can therefore avoid a spike in blood sugar level.

Dennis

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
martyn812 said:
todays sun new wonder cancer drug metformin so cant be that bad
Yes but the same thing has been said about tumeric too.:?:

volaer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Don't like pricking...
You really have to exercise every day even just walking. I manage to control my sugar in just 3 weeks doing diet, exercise, medicine and food supplement. Try to always hit between 5-6. Remember, floating extra blood sugar for a long time is dangerous to your organs.