weetabix v natural yogurt

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, ive been eating two weetabix with a little semi skimmed milk for brekkie , this morning i had three big table spoons of yeo valley natural greek style bio live yogurt with 10 blackberries a cut up huge strawberry and a dusting a flax seeds crushed up, which is better from a carb point of view? please, thankyou.
andy

WhitbyJet

Would be yoghurt, berries and flaxseeds for me each and every time, far more nutritional value there than in weetabix and skimmed milk.

berries boost the immune system, so does yoghurt, we know the health benefits of flaxseeds by now......

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
great thankyou it tastes better so ill carry on with that, thanks

Finzi

No comparison, Andy - if you're having three big spoonfuls you're probably having about 150g (I have two big spoonfuls and its 100g). As long as its full fat yogurt, it should be not much more than 4.0g carb/100g, so probably about 6g carb for that. The berries, maybe 2-3g. Flax I wouldn't even bother counting if its just a dusting. So under 10g easily for the meal.

2 weetabix (how good am I? I've just gone into my freezing unheated kitchen just to look for you ;) ! )

26g
Plus about 8g for the milk
That's without any sugar that you might put on

So 32g carb versus 10g. Also, the yoghurt will be slower absorbed because of the fat in it.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (64), average BS now between 5 and 6 mmol.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
wow, now the trip to the cold kitchen.... im touched you are the greatest forum goer ive ever met, you totally rock... thanks... no sugar on the bix but im well happy because i love the yogurt brekkie hehe, im going to send you a pair of wooly slippers for christmas ;) tx
andy

maggie2

do you have to toast the flax seed ? I make up a cereal with it in but toast all the ingredients together but if you just
have a sprinkle on your yogurt then it sounds as if it's eaten raw but obviously ground first :crazy:

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
maggie2 said:
do you have to toast the flax seed ? I make up a cereal with it in but toast all the ingredients together but if you just
have a sprinkle on your yogurt then it sounds as if it's eaten raw but obviously ground first :crazy:
Not if you buy it milled no.
If you have the unmilled seeds, its a bit hard for the body to break down ue to the husk, hence you may not get all the goodness from it.
Pestle and mortar if that's the case or a coffee grinder!

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Finzi

I was able to grind the whole seeds (they look a bit like sesame seeds) very easily in my Vitamix - not sure if an ordinary food processor does the job or not. Apparently once they are ground you have to store them carefully or they can go off - I keep mine in a china jar in a cupboard.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (64), average BS now between 5 and 6 mmol.

Finzi

Andy12345 said:
wow, now the trip to the cold kitchen.... im touched you are the greatest forum goer ive ever met, you totally rock... thanks... no sugar on the bix but im well happy because i love the yogurt brekkie hehe, im going to send you a pair of wooly slippers for christmas ;) tx
andy

Awww <blush>

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'd never eat weetabix, too carby. I do like Greek yogurt, especially the full cream ones. I tend to have them for sunday dessert, wwith a few berries. For breakfast, I have a scrambled egg done in the microwave with cream and butter. Very sustaining and pretty much carb free. Takes as little time as cereal to prepare.
Hana

anne1938

Hi there, some may disagree but the best breakfast you can have is flaxseed ground very fine, about 2 to 3 tablespoons and treat it as you would a cereal with milk and a little sugar. (*wont hurt ) follow this with perhaps a piece of bacon or sausage an egg, and a piece of toast (pref heavy grain) Take a look at the weebix package and see how many carbs !!!!!!!!!!
Forget boring yogurt. Proteins have no carbs. veg have a few, so take your sugar level before you eat and 1-1/2 hrs after, bet youll find its around 7. Would be interested to know how you go.
Anne

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
the thought of adding sugar to something....makes me shudder :crazy:

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't see myself eating weetabix from a navel sorry.:lol:

(I know..stop it):)

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I normally have weetabix, but the yoghurt does sound more yummy. I just wonder what it would do to my weekly grocery bill - can we have a cost breakdown, as well as a carb breakdown? (Sadly, you can't get blackberries on prescription...) :D

Finzi

carandol said:
I normally have weetabix, but the yoghurt does sound more yummy. I just wonder what it would do to my weekly grocery bill - can we have a cost breakdown, as well as a carb breakdown? (Sadly, you can't get blackberries on prescription...) :D

I must admit, I've never really looked at the cost of yogurt. Blueberries you can get for £1 a punnet in ASDA. Also, if you have any markets near you, you can get fruit much cheaper there. I buy yoghurt in a big tub, by the way, it's 1kg, and so does me ten breakfasts (I don't have it every day). My favourite is pomegranate seeds, they are gorgeous, not massively low in carbs, but worth it. I bought a box of those yesterday for £1, will probably last a week or so (I only have a teaspoonful a day)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
ohhh I need to try pomegranite, sounds yummy, I'll have a look at the cost of the yogurt next time I buy it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks. Sadly, our market in Lancaster closed down last year, and I don't have an Asda in walking distance (I don't have a car). Sainsburys blueberries seem to be twice the price, and doing the maths it looks like (in my case), we're talking around 80p per breakfast, instead of 30p per breakfast - which doesn't sound much, but adds up to £24 a month as against £9. Maybe I should move back to Germany again, where fruit is so cheap, you'd think it grew on trees... :)

Finzi

Andy12345 said:
ohhh I need to try pomegranite, sounds yummy, I'll have a look at the cost of the yogurt next time I buy it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Seriously, you must Andy , they're the best! :)

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
carandol said:
Thanks. Sadly, our market in Lancaster closed down last year, and I don't have an Asda in walking distance (I don't have a car). Sainsburys blueberries seem to be twice the price, and doing the maths it looks like (in my case), we're talking around 80p per breakfast, instead of 30p per breakfast - which doesn't sound much, but adds up to £24 a month as against £9. Maybe I should move back to Germany again, where fruit is so cheap, you'd think it grew on trees... :)
Try Aldi. They do blueberries ( and asparagus) cheap:)

Finzi

carandol said:

You don't have to have fruit in it. It's nice, but really fruit is just extra sugar we don't need. For me (personal taste) I do like to sweeten the yoghurt a bit (I use a teaspoon of da Vinci white chocolate sugar free syrup but if money is an issue that might not be ideal because its quite expensive). But a teaspoon of stevia would do. Also, sometimes you can luck out in sainsburys and they have special offers 2 for £2 or something. You can freeze blueberries, pop them in your breakfast straight from the freezer if you want.

Yogurt alone definitely wouldn't be that much, maybe about £3 for a pot that does 10 meals?