Paediatrician incompetent?

Tinkerbell78

We had Mia's glucose tolerance test back in September and had not heard back anything from our paediatrician, which I thought meant good news. (The nurse who did the tests said the initial test results looked normal and that we had nothing to worry about)

Our follow-up appointment was in the end of January, and our paediatrician told us that Mia's first result on the tolerance test was slightly raised (and this he looked from the nurses hand written notes not lab results) but the rest of the result were normal. ("Very good" I quote) So I asked what did this mean. And he could not really answer me...

He advised us to back to our GP "every now and then" to get some finger prick tests done to keep a check on her levels... I should then keep diary and write results down. With that he sent us home saying that he would see us again in six months time!

Mia has never shown any diabetes symptoms, the only reason we were sent to testing was because they found sugar in her urine when I took her to GP's after she was complaining cystitis symptoms. We were immediate sent to blood test which came back pre-diabetic. We had 7 weeks wait before we were seen by our paediatrician and whilst back home for holiday I used my mum's machine to test Mia's levels few times and they were all normal. (My nan is type 1) In September we were finally seen by our paediatrician and sent to a glucose tolerance test.

I am very confused as I thought glucose tolerance test was the diagnostic test for diabetes. I have requested the results to be sent to our GP and asked for a second opinion. I have made it quite clear that I will not put Mia through any more finger prick testing (she hates it as you can imagine) if there is no actual need for it. My GP tends to agree with me, although she has not questioned our paediatrician’s competence like I have.

I would like some thoughts on this? I can obviously get a machine easily enough and do the testing at home but is there a need for it?
I am not at all impressed with Mia's paediatrician as on two occasions that we have seen him, he has not read my daughter's notes. We have had to remind him that we are there to see him about Mia's sugar level issues and not the water infections which my daughter suffered from for a while. This really has put me off him and we will not be going back to him that is for sure.

Sorry for the rant and mumble! Just needed a little vent and opinions from others in similar situations.

Hello if your worried about your daughter developing type 1 diabetes or think something's not quite right other than checking her sugars as she hates it I would ask your doctor about getting some ketostrips to test for ketones
Sugar in the blood isn't a definitive sign of diabetes but having ketones in the urine means its more likely and this option is pain free
And obviously watch out for the symptoms of diabetes which I won't list as I'm sure you know them. Having a diabetic in the family. Hope this helps and as for the paediatrician I would ask for a new one