Would Like an Insulin Pump. Which Pump?

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
I'm looking into going onto an Insulin Pump as I think in the long run, it'll benefit me greatly. 15 years of Insulin Injections and my Hba1C is still above 11... (though recently coming down).

I'm not entirely sure what pumps my PCT will be willing to provide funding for (if I manage to get funding), looking into it, I like the look of the Animas Vibe and the Medtronic Veo. I've also heard some quite positive things about the Animas support team.

What pumps are you all on? Or would you recommend? Positives / negatives? Any difficulty with funding?

I would like as much information as possible before I see my DSN on 2nd January to discuss this.

Thanks! :D

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Lucy,
I'm on the Annimas 2020 which is the precurser to the vibe. I really like it it's simple to use lots of handy features on it and it's pink. But the only real reason i got it is because it's waterproof a must have for me because of my job and lifestyle. I've found the annimas pump support team really friendly but so were the support team when I had my D-tron (I don't think they make d-trons anymore I think they were made by accucheck). But in saying that I've never really needed help with except with the occaisional dropping of the pump on hard surfaces or flushing down the loo (putting it on your house insurance is a must :oops: ). NICE guidlines say that you can pick whatever pump best fits your lifestyle as they all have varying fuctions, don't let your clinic try and fob you off, although if you don't need anything specific the PCT get a better deal buying in bulk one type of pump. Let us know if there's anything specific that you're looking for be it waterproof, no tubing, extra small doses, the smallest possible pump, the one with the biggest screen etc. People might be able to help you a bit more.
Good luck Laura

jopar

I've got the Combo pump, no complaints easy to use etc and best of all it's got a remote.. When I first had the remote it didn't make any difference by 2 years having it, I would half miss it now..

I notice that you'll looking at Pumps with CGM capability, if you chooses these because it has, be pre-warned CGM is extremely difficult to get funding (no NICE guidelines) and there are extra bits that you have to purchase to get the CGM working, so if you'll thinking about self-funding the GCM side, need to add this into the costs..

NICE/NHS have a list of funded pumps, in theory you can choose any pump on the list, but most clinics will only offer 1, 2 or 3 types of pumps to their patients. Several reasons for this, firstly it cuts costs down, as pump DSN's need to be trained with each type of pump offered, Training patients is a lot easier, due to be able to start patients up on pumps in small groups... And yes they PCT's will negotiate contracts with the pump companies that will further reduce the costs, enable more pumps for patients!

When I started pumping back in 2008, I wasn't given any choice, I was at first gutted to be lump with the Roche Spirit pump, it was the only pump that didn't have a wizard at all... But in the end probably the best thing as it taught me so much more about insulin pump therapy than having a pump with all the bell and wizards..

Somebody did suggest that I fought for my right to choose the pump I wanted, which then was the Amanis 2020 that just came out, but I had battled for 3 1/2 year to get pump funding.. So then to turn around and argue to have a particular pump meant to things... Firstly a longer wait to get a pump and I rather started sooner than later, and possibility of the pct withdrawing funding, after all they could have said if you think you need a pump that bad, you accept what's offered!

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
pumppimp said:
Hi Lucy,
I'm on the Annimas 2020 which is the precurser to the vibe. I really like it it's simple to use lots of handy features on it and it's pink. But the only real reason i got it is because it's waterproof a must have for me because of my job and lifestyle. I've found the annimas pump support team really friendly but so were the support team when I had my D-tron (I don't think they make d-trons anymore I think they were made by accucheck). But in saying that I've never really needed help with except with the occaisional dropping of the pump on hard surfaces or flushing down the loo (putting it on your house insurance is a must :oops: ). NICE guidlines say that you can pick whatever pump best fits your lifestyle as they all have varying fuctions, don't let your clinic try and fob you off, although if you don't need anything specific the PCT get a better deal buying in bulk one type of pump. Let us know if there's anything specific that you're looking for be it waterproof, no tubing, extra small doses, the smallest possible pump, the one with the biggest screen etc. People might be able to help you a bit more.
Good luck Laura

Hi Laura.
Ideally I would like something waterproof. I'm not entirely fussed about tubing or small doses although having a small pump may come in handy. I don't want anything too complicated and long winded (after all, the idea of the pump is to cut down on the hassle of injecting!). I work in an office, but am reasonably active outside of work (swimming, biking etc). So something to suit that would be ideal.
I've never been hugely keen on the support team for AccuChek, I've never really had a great service from them (but maybe I've just been unlucky). Having a helpful support team I feel is important, I'd like to feel like I can rely on them if I need to. Have you ever had any trouble using your pump?

Thanks, Lucy

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
jopar said:
I've got the Combo pump, no complaints easy to use etc and best of all it's got a remote.. When I first had the remote it didn't make any difference by 2 years having it, I would half miss it now..

I notice that you'll looking at Pumps with CGM capability, if you chooses these because it has, be pre-warned CGM is extremely difficult to get funding (no NICE guidelines) and there are extra bits that you have to purchase to get the CGM working, so if you'll thinking about self-funding the GCM side, need to add this into the costs..

NICE/NHS have a list of funded pumps, in theory you can choose any pump on the list, but most clinics will only offer 1, 2 or 3 types of pumps to their patients. Several reasons for this, firstly it cuts costs down, as pump DSN's need to be trained with each type of pump offered, Training patients is a lot easier, due to be able to start patients up on pumps in small groups... And yes they PCT's will negotiate contracts with the pump companies that will further reduce the costs, enable more pumps for patients!

When I started pumping back in 2008, I wasn't given any choice, I was at first gutted to be lump with the Roche Spirit pump, it was the only pump that didn't have a wizard at all... But in the end probably the best thing as it taught me so much more about insulin pump therapy than having a pump with all the bell and wizards..

Somebody did suggest that I fought for my right to choose the pump I wanted, which then was the Amanis 2020 that just came out, but I had battled for 3 1/2 year to get pump funding.. So then to turn around and argue to have a particular pump meant to things... Firstly a longer wait to get a pump and I rather started sooner than later, and possibility of the pct withdrawing funding, after all they could have said if you think you need a pump that bad, you accept what's offered!

Hi Jopar!

Having a choice now, makes it all the more difficult! Haha. I'm not particularly fussed about CGM, whilst it would be handy, it's not necessary, those just happen to be two of the pumps I've looked into and liked. :) Have you had any difficulties with the Combo at all?

Thanks, Lucy

Spearmint

We wanted the Cellnovo but the release date keeps being pushed further away!

Went for the Accu Chek Combo purely for the remote handset which doubles up as a blood tester with bolus wizard so no more complicated calculations to make, no more waking her up to inject when she's high at night.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi pumppimp. I just wanted to say that they do still make D Tron pumps if anyone's interested. Accuchek took over them from the original maker, Disetronic. I've always had a D Tron and got a new one very recently. I'm new here so sorry if this link doesn't work - you'll have to copy and paste if not:

https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/products/insulinpumps/dtronplus.html

I've found lots of people don't know the D Tron exists. My clinic was trying to get me to change to a Spirit a while ago but I didn't want to. Roche/Accuchek doesn't excatly advertise them much either. I've found they always want to get you to sign up for the latest thing. Fine if that suits you, but I believe everyone should have a choice and be able to choose what's the right pump for them.

The reason I like the D Tron is that it takes insulin cartridges - no faffing about filling reservoirs or anything. I'm busy (and not that patient :D ) and I love the convenience of just putting a cartridge in. :thumbup: I'd also add that I find the D Tron very reliable. I've never had a problem over the 8 years I've used them. I also like the symbol-type menu and I find it easy to use. It's got some good accessories (like multi-clips and cases and belts and bra/boxer bags) too that I couldn't do without. It makes wearing the pump a lot easier.

I suggest you read as much about each pump as you can and think about what fits your needs. I researched mine by googling and reading what people said and writing a little comparison list because I'm a bit sad :D but it does pay to make the right choice.

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
I'm on the Accuchek Combo Pump and love it, love it, love it. The best from a female point of view is the pump can be operated via the Bluetooth device which means that you don't have to wear the pump where it can be located conveniently.

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Lucy,
I really love my 2020 although when I first had it it was called the 2012 and I can't see any differences between them. I've had a few mechanical problems with it, firstly the priming load cartridge bit jammed and would prime the whole cartridge instead of just loading it. This happened at about 11.30 at night so I called the company who put me through to the technical people who were in America as the British lot I think only work office type hours. The lady on the other end was very polite and definitely knew the pump she told me what button to press and when to take the battery out and we went through it 5 or 6 times then she said we need to have a look at it. I got the replacement sent out to me by the next afternoon. In the mean time I just plugged in my old D-tron the sets fitted each other and I still had all the other bits I needed. The second problem I had was that the buttons got slightly stuck and I was having to press them harder and harder until the rubber bits wore through on the buttons. This meant it wasn't waterproof anymore so I just called up and they sent another out to my work the next day it, worked fine until then. Now the paint is flaking off a bit but I ware the pump really close to my skin most of the time I guess the friction doesn't help. It's pretty small roughly I havn't got a ruler 5x8cm about 1.5cm thick it's pink and comes with a little black clip and a case and a belt I don't use the case as it's too bulky for me just the little clip which keeps it securely on my pants bra or whatever I need usually stays on really seccurly. I keep it attached to me for kayaking (I'm not very good I swim a lot) and I've never had a problem with it being waterproof I use it for swimming in a pool as well I like to do long distance so am in for a few hours I just turn my basal down and it's fine. I also take it diving although they don't reccomend this as it's only certified to 12 feet (4 meters) But I'm in a pressurised drysuit so It doesn't get wet and seems to cope with the pressure fine although people tell me with their phones if they've done the same thing that they turn themselves off. It's got all the wizards that most others have and you can choose what the alarm will sound like and compose your own if you fancy. You can download all your info onto the computer and upload food carbohydrate lists and other things although I don't use this as I do most of it in my head. I think the vibe will be compatible with a cgm if I go on all the bumf I'm sent by the company. The most handy thing is I can text or email to order new supplies instead of having to phone which is good when you realise your running low on everything and it usually only takes 2 days tops to come. Sorry for the ramble on if there is anything else just ask. Laura

melissagwen

I've never been hugely keen on the support team for AccuChek, I've never really had a great service from them (but maybe I've just been unlucky).

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
melissagwen said:
I've never been hugely keen on the support team for AccuChek, I've never really had a great service from them (but maybe I've just been unlucky).

Nope, not just you. I don't like the AccuChek team, none of their reps have left a good impression on me, because of that I'm extremely unlikely to opt for an AccuChek pump.

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Lucy,

I've been diabetic for almost the same length of time. I'm onto my second year of insulin pumping with my Medtronic Paradigm 554. Its hard to compare since this is my first pump. Its given me much more freedom in life, with eating in & out, exercise and in social situations. I was put on pump to try and stop the severe hypos I kept having. Its done a great job and I've only had two seizures in the past two years, which could be epilepsy related.

You can get different length tubing, whatever suits you. But you must be careful not to get it caught on something, a number of times I've had the tube catch onto a door handle and detach from my waist, but never come out my skin. Its not waterproof so if you're at the swimming baths for longer than an hour you may need to go back to your locker and top up on insulin (although I managed several hours without insulin at a waterpark - lots of running around). It runs on 1 AAA battery so if you did run out of stock you could temporarily use a shop bought duracel.

I change the parts every 3 days, at first it seems difficult but once you get into the process its a doddle and almost pain free, with a similar insertation mechanism to a finger prick. I phone the Medtronic team each 3 month to restock on parts, they're very friendly. The pump does have the functionality to communicate with the Contour Link blood tester and the Enlite CGM sensor. Of course getting funding for a CGM in addition to a pump will be very difficult, I'd only buy one Enlite for a special situation, like running a marathon. The insulin pump definitely help with exercise, with the ability to reduce or stop your basal, I had some great results on the Great North Run.