What's the highest you've been?

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
visitorf1 said:
how would one know if they should be on insulin or not ? doc wont give me straight answer when i asked was it my liver producing too much glucose or pancreas not producing enough insulin or insulin resistance ,he replied : a bit of both , not very reassuring .

I asked this question the other day as I am still have swings Hi, but nowhere near the 22.7 I had been getting. My GP practice said they don't put one on insulin until all other medications fail to bring the BS under control.

I thought it might be better to be on insulin as maybe it might be easier to control the BS and not have such swings.

Delphinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Most food.
My highest is now 31.2. :( Stupid cannulas are bending for my new pump and I've had ketones 3 times. Nasty things!

Merlyn13

Was over 40 on a DKA when admitted to hospital when first diagnosed in Jan this year. Don't remember much if any of the 3 days after that except that there seemed to be a really helpful gorilla on the first ward I was on who pointed the way for people. Shows how these things mess with the mind.....unless this is a new job creation scheme for apes. ;-)

TJ

New Type 1

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mbmdp

garythegob said:
Mbmdp said:
My highest was 32!

The lowest I've been is 6.8 (very strange feeling) especially since up until recently I was always in the 20's

If you are talking mmol, Dont know why you were feeling strange, 6.8 is spot on

That's because I'm so used to running so high (high 20's) so when my levels are lower than say 10 I'm not used to it

squeeze321

Dislikes
Hypos
88.0 mmol in July 1989.
This was a lab reading and not from a little blood sugar meter.

You are probably wondering how I let it get so high.

I was away from home at the time, because I had been kicked out at the age of 16 by my foster parents who refused to let me come home because I had failed my school exams. Then all hell broke loose when I had become infected with a throat infection, and needed antibiotics. I could not see a GP where I was staying as none of them would see me because I was not regisitered with them. I don't blame GPs for this incidently. I was in a diabetic coma, in intensive care and aparantly this was the highest blood sugar ever recorded at two hospitals.

Glad to say I survived, the foster parents are history as I cut off contact with them to protect any children I may have in the future.

I am now on a pump and have good control.

coxy68

39 at diagnosis with ketoacidosis (or is it ketosis, can't remember) and told I was a stones throw from the reaper! Happy days! Still all under control now fingers crossed :grin:

Gonna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
37 twelve days ago at diagnosis. Was recovering from severe acute pancreatitis and thought I had escaped complications but my pancreas stopped producing insulin so I was back in hospital on an insulin drip. Am now injecting four times a day.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
When I was diagnosed with a reading of 12+ my doctor said, "Don't be alarmed, we regularly have first-timers reading 50 or over. I have even heard of one case where the reading was 200!!!"

MCMLXX111 - tell me what 'Fenugreek' is please.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
MCMLXX111 - thankyou for the link to Fenugreek

jimzzz

Mine has been mid to high 30s a few times but now seem to have settled down :thumbup: . It is quite frightening though when you're sight starts going!