Tiredmumof2

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insulin injections, Science and RE :-)
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and in need of support and help please.

My healthy, active 5yr Son was diagnosed with Type 1 on 20th January 2013. We thought he was suffering from a kidney infection as he didn't display any of the tell tale signs apart from frequent visits to the toilet. So when his blood sugar reading came back at 32mmol I could have cried. We were rushed into hospital and he spent the next 3 days in there. I felt, as his Mother, that I'd let him down and it was all my fault.

His medication - he's currently having 6 blood tests per day and he's using Novo Mix 30 twice a day, 7 units of a morning (although this has now been reduced to 5 units) and 3 units of an evening (may increase to 5, awaiting Diabetic Nurse feedback). The problem we're having now is he's suffering from daily Hypo's at the same time each day (usually about 2hrs after breakfast) and even though we're on a strict eating plan (snacks every two hours with meals in between) it's still not preventing them. His consultant reduced his morning dose to 5 units (first one today) to see if this helps as he's now classed as being in the "honeymoon period" so I'm hoping this reduction in insulin helps alleviate some of the hypo's he's experiencing.

One thing I can't cope with though is my Husband - he's in denial about the whole thing and he's really not taking on board the seriousness of the situation. I feel like all the responsibility is on my shoulders, and being a full time working Mum and having to look after our 2 Sons, the home, full time work and DS's condition. I feel completely isolated and I'm on rock bottom. I feel like I've gone through a bereavement since the diagnosis and that DS has "lost" his childhood as all I do now is clock watch - waiting for his next snack, his next blood test, his next injection and so on and I feel completely helpless for him. Am I the only one who felt like this or have others experienced this? Does it get better?

I'd also like to know if there are any support groups near by (Tyne and Wear) as I'd love to speak with parents who have been through the same as I have - just so I can understand and learn from their experiences.

One last thing - would anyone advise the pump? This is an option from my PHC and as my Son hates the insulin injections I'd like to understand if the pro's/con's are more suitable for him so we can discuss this at his next appointment with the consultant.

Any information or help would be appreciated and thanks in advance!
TMo2 xx

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can't offer much advice as I was diagnosed when I was 19, but it sounds truly awful and I feel for you. Firstly, there's no blame on you, or anyone for that matter. You certainly haven't let him down, quite the opposite by the sound of it. As far as your husband goes, he's probably in denial. Most people diagnosed go through it and he probably thinks that because your son is normal on the outside then everything is ok, but he definitely needs to get serious about it.

Hopefully someone will be along soon to offer you some advice on coping and whether a pump is a good idea.

Tracey69

Hi and welcome,
Sorry to hear your story but you are not to blame, nor is any one else. I was diagnosed at the age of 6yrs old and am now going to be 44 in April.
When i was first diagnosed my father had a nervous breakdown so my mum took most of the strain even though she didn't want to, but back in 1975 they taught me to inject myself quite quickly.
I know a lot of things have changed since then, but you are doing all the right things with the snacks and meals. As your son is quite active his sugar levels will change and especially as his a new diagnosis.
There is a sight on here for children and Teens this may help you as i know there are alot of youngsters are on pumps.
I hope you get on ok. Keep in touch even if it's just to chat and let off steam.
Take care
Tracey

Sumnloui

Hi,

My own son was diagonosed in August aged 4. Turned 5 in December. I have to say I had all the same feelings. I to felt like I was going through a bereavement. Although its a little easier, its always on my mind.

My own husband was in denial which didnt help the situation. At first I felt I couldnt leave my son with him. This too has got slightly better. Theres so much to take in, and its so completely life changing.

As for his hypers after two hrs I found this happening with my own son. He is also on Nova mix in the morning. Now he has 250 ml of milk 1 1/2 hrs after brekkie and then a snack half an hour after that. This works well with school aswell and has stopped his hypers. His bloods before lunch are usually within target.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there. I can totally empathise with you as my son was diagnosed just before his 3rd birthday at a reading of 32 as well and was rushed into hospital and put on an insulin drip straightaway and I felt that it was my fault too. I thought I would never cope having to inject him at that time twice a day, but looking back now although it was hard it does get better and you will quickly get into a routine. From there we went onto multi injections with carb counting and now he is on a pump for the last 6 months and will be 16 next month.

As far as the pump is concerned I personally would not have wanted James to go on the pump so young cos carb counting is also involved and a lot of visits to the DSN for adjustments. You are obviously still in the honeymoon period so you need to take one step at a time. Cope with the 2 injections first, then you need to learn to carb count for meals and inject also there is a basal injection as well overall about 5 injections a day. Once you have got to grips with that then think about the pump as carb counting will be second nature and one less thing to worry about when learning the pump.

Although James's Dad did come to the initial DSN visits they soon stopped and I seem to have taken on all the responsibility now.

Take each day as it comes and you will cope.

Hope this has helped :thumbup:

colacard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can relate to this a little as my daughter was 7 when she was diagnosed, I was effectively a single parent, my husband left us when she was 5 and only bothered with the big gestures, presents etc but took no responsibility for anything with her illness as we didn't live together when she was diagnosed. We have had our ups and downs but thankfully my daughter has been a tower of strength to me. Yes she is the one with diabetes but she got a handle on things really quickly and now at 17 she is a wonderfully balanced young woman. I hope you see that you will be able to get through this you and your son will grow so close and he will help you just as much as you help him. Xxx

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

CambridgeLass

I'm so sorry to hear about your son's diagnosis. Your feelings are absolutely normal. My daughter was diagnosed in December aged 6 and it does feel like a bereavement. I cried rivers whereas my daughter just adjusted. It WILL get easier. Of course there will be ups and downs but each day is a new day. Your boy is still in the honeymoon phase. Doses will need tweaking and there is much to read about and learn. It takes time. Maybe ask at the clinic if there are any local groups. Do you have access to a psychologist as part of the team? I would use this service and get your husband along. Maybe ask him to look at this forum to see the kind of experiences people have. You shouldn't have to go through your worries alone, he needs to be supporting you. Tracy x

Lance

Hi Tiredmom,

My daughter was diagnosed 27th Dec and our thoughts feelings rage and denial are only slowly starting to subside. I like your Hubby was (STILL AM) in complete denial. My wife would love to go onto medication to assist. So i can relate to you and your Hubbies emotions and stress. I like you feel my darling daughter has been robbed of her youth.
You will be pleased to hear that my daughter is handling the situation better than hr Dad. she is getting on with it and almost ready to try inject herself. She has grown up overnight, turns down sweets and doughnuts at school as she knows the feeling is just not worth it. We still have a long long way to go, but every day the light shines brighter. So all the way from South Africa help your Hubbie so you can both help your Son. When he see's you coping so will he. WE HAVE TO. WHAT CHOICE DO WE HAVE???

JaneCole

Hi

I am so so sorry to hear of your sons diagnosis. My daughter was diagnosed last June aged 10 and my world fell apart. Nothing felt the same. I didn't think our world would ever feel the same again. When we came home from hospital a mum from the school where my daughter goes came round with her son who was diagnosed in January 2012. She told me D does get easier and in six months it all comes part of your daily life without giving it
to much thought. This gave me some hope though I couldn't see how D would become easier and that we would get used to it. Well those words still ring in my ears believe me we were so so low but it has got
easier. If we can come to terms with it I believe anyone can. Wishing you all well

Deirdrekp

Hi tired mum of 2

I am new to the forum too.

Like you I spent the 20th of January in hospital as my daughter was helicoptered to the nearest paediatric hospital as her bloods were to high to read. Her first meter reading (once they got her down a bit) was 39.5.
We then spent the next 3 days and nights learning lots.
Lucky for us our daughter is 9 and is coping extremely well.

Yes, the first night was **** and I think I got an hour rest, but all I could think was I still have my daughter.
(One of her class mates passed away at the end of last year), I kept reminding myself, my daughter is sick but it's ok, this is something we can manage.
Unfortunately my father was in the same hospital terminally ill, and my I guess in a way this too helped me to cope with our new out look on life.

We too test 6 times a day and sometimes 10 plus times a day, depending on her activity.
In hospital she started on 10 units and since then we have decreased to 4 or 5 units a morning depending if its a swimming day, and only 1 unit at night.

I am very lucky to have had a supportive husband at her diagnosis, but since being home I seem to have taken all of the responsibility on my shoulders. Perhaps this is because sometimes we do to much as mum's.

I feel for you with a five year old. But I'm sure in time he will get the hang of those dam injections. My nine year old is so good she is my hero.
Other than that awful first day, we are coping fine.
Things pop up all the time, right now I'm trying to work out how to best deal with Easter.
I'm sure these types of things are going to happen all of the time,and we just need to cope the best we can at the time.
Stay strong tired mum
All the best
Deirdre

worried mamma

Hi,

I'm in the same situation, my daughter is 2 and was diagnosed a month ago, I thought she had a chest infection until we called NHS 24 and we were rushed to hospital. I also felt I let her down as I did not think she was that ill. We have had her insulin units changed so many times its hard to keep up with it all, been hypo alot after lunch or after a wee nap. I also have a baby who is almost 6 months so Its hard to keep an eye on her whislt I have to watch the toddler as she constantly hungry and always in my fridge, I had to tie string to the doors to keep her out this may sound bad but over the last month she has gained alot of weight.