Diabetes does kill

skhwoody

MrsBRW said:
Try working for a company that won't make reasonable adjustments for diabetics. There slowly killing me.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

All UK companies (i am assuming your in the uk mind), have a responsibility under the DDA, Disability Discrimination Act, to look after the health and safety of employees with certain conditions, one being diabetes. If their work environment and conditions do not lend towards your well being, this need to be looked at.

skhwoody

The dda act is an article of law, not company policy, and is there to protect you, you don't have to fight, to enforce it, citizens advice and Google will be your friend in thus me thinks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Nicola738

Sending love Ellen, thank you for sharing your story as hard as it may of been. If it prompts just one person to get help it will be worth it. Your so brave

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Sad though Ellen's tale may be, she only posted a few times, for a short time, a long time ago:
Last visited:
18 Apr 2011, 10:40

colacard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This is a real fear for parents spouses and children of diabetics. My daughter has always been sensible since her diagnosis aged 7, she is now 17, but I keep wondering when or if she will rebel against it all.x

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

titchy_lou

My grandad died a year ago (a year ago this Friday) from a heart attack. The heart attack was a result of abusing his diabetes for years. Ending up in a coma wasn't enough for my grandad to realise what he was doing. Great model for me, who was diagnosed with diabetes a year and a half ago. It makes me so angry to hear how people abuse their bodies. You only have one chance, don't screw with your body :(

Diabetes type 1.5
Diagnosed September 2011
Currently on basal insulin

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Sorry to read about your loss. Best wishes to you and your family. My youngest daughter(now21) and I are both type 1.
Nigelho.

maxmillan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello Ellen,
I am so sorry to hear about Gerard. My heart goes out to you and the family and I'll remember you in prayers. Thanks for the honesty in posting this message. This is my first time on the forum and I just wanted to say it's a wake-up call for me. I am type 2 but even with a weight loss of 3stone have had to go on insulin three months ago. I am managing ok but would slip a lot if something nice was on offer. I will now be more careful about this after reading your message.
Thank you so much for your frankness and I wish you, your son and daughters the very best as you come to terms with your loss.
(((((((((comforting hugs)))))))))

accucheck

Diabetes does kill
Diabetes can kill in different ways. Blood sugar levels damage the arteries, veins and capillaries height. It's a stroke, heart disease, blindness, peripheral vascular disease, can cause muscle wasting or embolism.Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure. Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar level can result in diabetic coma, and if left untreated can organs. Lack of insulin causes the liver to turn fat into ketone bodies when diabetes is kedoacidosis. This causes the blood pH to drop. Hypertension in severe cases, can lead to shock and death.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
accucheck said:
Diabetes does kill
Diabetes can kill in different ways. Blood sugar levels damage the arteries, veins and capillaries height. It's a stroke, heart disease, blindness, peripheral vascular disease, can cause muscle wasting or embolism.Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure. Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar level can result in diabetic coma, and if left untreated can organs. Lack of insulin causes the liver to turn fat into ketone bodies when diabetes is kedoacidosis. This causes the blood pH to drop. Hypertension in severe cases, can lead to shock and death.
How nice and positive. Thanks for that:sad:

@myroomsadisco

Isobel94

Dear Ellen,

I'm so sorry for your loss. But this post will benefit the many diabetics out there who might need help. I send my condolences from Ireland.

Best wishes for the future,

Isobel

Donkeymad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am so sorry for your loss.

I nearly lost my life in the same many years ago, and now have memory damage due to slight brain damage.

I hope this warning will prevent anybody else losing their own or a friend/relatives life.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
Ellen. My heart goes out to you.