Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Re: What are your H test results?

James12 said:
moonstone said:
HbA1c is also measured in mmols but if yours was 7.1 you'd be dead as it's far too low for survival :) the blood sugar tests on our meters are measured in mmol/l and the HbA1c in mmol/mol. If you mean your HbA1c was 7.1% then you're bang on target. Check out the converters on this site. Mine was 9.3%, or 78 mmols/mol.

i think you must be misinformed. If your A1C is 7.1% - you are almost 100% going to develop complications, probably within only a few years.

Thanks for telling me that James, here I was trying to prevent my complications getting any worse so that I do not go blind after getting severe retinopathy, and I thought I was doing well getting my A1c under 7, as the opthalmologist recommended, that has really cheered me up now.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
SamJB said:
That's not quite right James. An hba1c of 7.1 means you are just under twice as likely to get complications compared to non-diabetics.

Here's a link:
http://img.medscape.com/slide/migrated/ ... ide027.gif

I've been in the 7s for most of my 9 years as a T1 and haven't had any problems. A colleague of mine has been in the 7s most of his 30 years and is ok.

Edited to add link.

Now this is much better news. Although you probably wouldn't see much damage afer 9 years Sam, I think around 20 years is how long it can take on average, your colleague's story is probably more relevant.

World Hereafter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Many thanks for posting that link to the graph of hbA1C/risk of complications - very interesting and was something I've been wondering about.

My HbA1C at diagnosis was 8.4% (Nov 2012), 3 month check was 7.0 -thanks to the great info/low carb stuff on this forum!

Fcooper

My last HbA1c was 11% back in October last year.

The doctor said it was very poorly controlled and that I can't keep living like this, so have now started I try and control my diabetes a lot better.

I'm going to have another test soon and see if it has got better, I hope it has! I'll let you all know

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

michael_n

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My latest HbA1c was 6.2 and I'm pretty content with it, since my previous two were both 6.4. New goal is below 6.

samantha13

One month after diagnoses mine was 8.6. Now after almost 3years of denial and abusing my body my hba1c is 9.4

But in the last couple weeks I have made big changes! Have finally accepted my condition. Am testing frequently and working with my diabetes instead of against it. Now have reduced my carbs and exercises quite a bit. Determined my next hba1c will be much improved :)

doc7576

I found out last week that mine was 14.1 when I was diagnosed in January (DKA). Hopefully the next one will show some improvement.

Lyndesay

Mine have always been 9 or over for a number of years, started insulin pump therapy 2 months ago and it is now 8. Fingers crossed it will be down more in a few weeks time.

davelofty77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who moan about their life/heath and don't help themselves!
I was diagnosed back in November 2012 and my HbAc1 was 120. I'm not sure how this was measured, but I have had another test done and it is reduced to 80. I was told by my consultant and diabetic nurse that it should be around the 40 mark. At least it's going in the right direction. Still a bit to go.

Paul_PC

I'm feeling rather smug at the moment. In November my HbA1c was 11.4, in July, 14.7. Last week, due to weight loss and a change of meds, I've got 6.2. The DSN tells me that that's out of the diabetic range, which starts at 6.4/6.5. I'm aalso beginning to get feeling back in my toes - in effect, my T2 diabetes is on the run! :thumbup:

mrawfell

My latest was 4.0 % Sounds good, and my dr. said drop the metformin ( Glucofarge 750 ) However my FBS has been over 7 sometimes with the Glucofarge. I am totally confused by the numbers, they seem to be in conflict with each other. I have some Glocofarge left so for now I am continuing to take them.

Robabz

Hello, I've not been playing at this diabetes lark long (diagnosed on 4th Jan this year) but started at 14.5 (135) start of Feb I went back for a clinic and was 10.1 (87) and went back yesterday and have managed to achieve 68 (8.4) so fairly happy with myself and just need to keep on going :) and going etc!