How often should i get a HbA1c test done?

ian1968

How often should i get a HbA1c test done? Is it every six months? My last one was in Sept, so I assume I'm due another one now, is that right? I've heard nothing from my GP, but I suppose you have to request one.

mark5745

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It all depends really sometimes I've had my done at 3/6/9 months apart but it's normally about every 6 months the consultant see me

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If newly diagnosed i would go every three months, see if you're heading in the right direction.
Once you hit what you think is a plateau, go every six.
But!
Do test with a meter, look at your averages and if all is not well go to the doctor.:smile:

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

pav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My GP practice is every 12 months for type 2's, though had one in Dec and one in Jan and one in Feb the 2nd was because there was a referal to retest from the hospital. The Feb one was because I restarted monitoring and BS went very high for me, the next one won't be for 4 months.

After this I suppose it will go back to 12 monthly, but this time continual to monitor myself more often.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I think NICE expects it done annually, but I think six monthly is better and I ask for the extra test. To me a year is a long time for things to be going wrong in.
Hana

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been getting mine done pretty much every three months. I'm type 2 and just recently started on insulin. My results have always been quite high, 9's, 10's and 11's, so that may be why so frequent.

Andrew S

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snobs! Angry people who keep getting angry and can't calm down.
Just had mine done, good results back “ 42" in the new system and told my next test will be in a year's time.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My diabetes nurse usually writes to me to ask me to make an appointment.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get one every year. I would prefer every six months, but when I asked if I could have a mid year one, I was told there was no clinical need.

I had a very bad control before I found this forum, my GP knows nothing about this because it was between tests.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
))Denise(( said:
I get one every year. I would prefer every six months, but when I asked if I could have a mid year one, I was told there was no clinical need.

I had a very bad control before I found this forum, my GP knows nothing about this because it was between tests.
That's bobbins.
If you want a 6 monthly test then tell them you're having it and also get you're cholesterol done at the same time.:)