Levemir.

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Iainten, I currently take 60 units of Levemir per day. I take 30 in the am and 30 in the pm as split doses works better for me. At the start of the year I was on 64 units of Levemir per day.

If you're concerned, speak to your nurse. However, if the 60 units you take works well with your body, then it's not something I would worry about.

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
iainten said:
Hi all. I seem to be on a really high dosage of levemir. I'm taking 60 units every day. Is anyone else like this or should I see nurse.
Hi iainten,

The level of basal insulin (Levemir or Lantus) required will vary from person to person, and the fact that you are taking 60u does not mean that it is too much. Similarly the level of bolus (Humalog or Novorapid) required will depend on your insulin-carb ratio, and this is also different for each person and of course changes through the day. I take 12u Lantus each morning, but that will mean nothing to other diabetics since it is just the level that MY body requires to maintain good background BG control.

Have you done basal testing using the well established fasting method (wait atleast 4 hrs after last carb/bolus, then test every hour to check BG remains steady)? If your blood sugar drops by more than 1.7 mmol/l during the test period, the basal rate is probably too high. If it rises by more than 1.7 mmol/l, the rate may be too low.

If not how did you find you needed 60u Levemir?

This link explains about basal testing, and to convert BG readings from US to UK values just divide them by 18.

http://www.integrateddiabetes.com/p_basaltest.shtml

Jonty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I take levemir as well, I used to take Insulatrad, but went on to Levemir when I started the Carb Counting course. I take 12 units before bed.

Best wishes RRB

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm taking Levemir too. I carb count (or try to!) so I take 4 units in the evening and then the rest is Novorapid whenever I eat

mark5745

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I was on levemir I'd take 96 units am in two shots then 104 units pm in three shots plus novorapid with food. Hope it's working for you

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

samantha13

I take 10u 8am and 10u 8pm but currently working on increasing it gradually as my fasting bs still slightly high. I started off 2.5 years ago on 6u so it feels iv made a big (although slow) increase on the insulin. Suppose it's just whatever our bodies need :(

dardaydave

I am currently on 180 units of Levemir morning and night. Between 30-60 units of Novarapid with food. My diabetic nurse has said there is a double strength insulin now available which will cut down on the volume of insulin I take. Here's hoping..

johnhnett

Your not alone, I'm taking 150u of levemire an between 30 and 50 units of novorapid, my diabetes nurse say if that's what I need then that's what I should take. I have also just (2 months) started on Bydurion after having problems with byetta this new injection is once a week and I have seen great improvement in my numbers.

judy.suirane

Just a question as I'm new to all this. I am on levemir 20 units at 10pm . My mornings are great with by under 6. My pre bed levels fluctuate between 6 and 15! It seems the levemir has run out after supper. Should I be takng a split dose of 10 units one at 10 pm and one at 10 am? Confused!!

Thanks
Judy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk