have to request in writing

timps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
cruelty in any form
Morning all,

I have been told by my dn that before I can get my full blood results I have to request it in writing.

I was under the impression that I would be entitled to my results and a print out as part of the norm.

I feel a little annoyed about this as I only see her every 3 months at the most.

I wanted these results so that I can look them up to see what they all are as I do not understand them.
How am I supposed to do this if I do not know what they are??
carole

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have never been given them in writing, only been read them off the screen and by the time I got home forgot some of them.

Don't know if its standard practice to be just given them from the screen or are given a print out or letter.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always ask for a printout but I have to sign that if I lose them I will not sue the practice ! or words to that effect. In other words I allow myself to take my results away .I have started to take a signed and dated piece of paper stating that when I go for my results
carol

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Basically they don't want you having a complete record over the past few years providing all the details. You may spot a trend that they didn't but should have. My wife would get sacked on the spot if the NHS knew that she gets the print outs in the laboratory for me. I feel I need them because when I go see the GP, he's likely to say, 'you have a 9.8' and then I can say, 'no, that was the previous time, what's the latest one?'

'Ah yes, this one is 7.6'.

On one occasion I was even handed somebody else's prescription. They are as prone to errors as much as anyone else is.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's like a different planet. I just phone the receptionist who has them printed before I arrive to pick them up.

Even better than that. My nurse once referred to all the feedback I get. I asked her what feedback was that. On my next visit I was handed a complete file in a plastic envelope with all my numbers and targets.

I asked the receptionist if I was asking her to exceed her authority and she said that everyone has a right to see their own info.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Squire Fulwood said:
everyone has a right to see their own info.

Thats correct Squire, in fact we all have the right to request our medical records although it does cost a fee for the time and paper etc. Most GP's will print off your blood test results if asked nicely but I can see why a signature might be required as said before to cover the surgery should they be lost (Data Protection Act).

timps said:
I have been told by my dn that before I can get my full blood results I have to request it in writing.....

I feel a little annoyed about this as I only see her every 3 months at the most.

Can you not just drop off your written request at the surgery and mark it for the attention of your diabetic nurse? If you include a stamped addressed envelope I see no reason why they couldnt be posted back to you :thumbup:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I guess I'm somewhere in between. I only get told my results by the BP/DN if I ask apart from my HBa1C which they always give. This is only done verbally. The receptionists will always give me any result verbally. You have a right to your medical records but the system doesn't really support that well.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,Carole :)

You have the right to see most health records held about you.(sometimes they make a small charge for copies)

Your dn like many are not trained with proper up-to-date patient procedures regarding Law.

I would make a appointment with your GP tell him your concern regarding control and ask him/her for copy results. Your GP will fully understand and will arrange for you to have blood test.( Gp's are more knowledgeable regarding NHS procedures)

Roy. :)

ps Sid is correct "be nice"

timps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
cruelty in any form
Thank you all for your advice, I will of course be nice and will take a letter with me.
I have had to supply my own meter , lancets and test strips as it's not their policy to provide them so I just wanted to be able to follow everything by keeping copies.
carole.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My surgery won't give you printouts if the results are abnormal without consulting with the doctor. The reason I was given is that patients may worry about what they mean if they haven't seen the doctor. Mine (non diabetes related) were fine and I got them on the spot.

My diabetes ones I got on the way out of the surgery after my annual review as my GP reckons he doesn't know how to print them off and leaves it to the receptionist.

Finzi

pav said:
I have never been given them in writing, only been read them off the screen and by the time I got home forgot some of them.

Don't know if its standard practice to be just given them from the screen or are given a print out or letter.

My practice are the opposite - they won't read them out ( say that they are not qualified to report results) but will give me a print out. That is fine by me, and I would be intensely irritated if anyone suggested that I couldn't have access to my own blood results. That would be a "practice-changing" trigger for me.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (64), average BS now between 5 and 6 mmol.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't get a print out but nurse has an A4 shet of paper that she fills in all the results as we discuss then and then writes on when I should book my next app for blood tests, eyes, feet etc. Find it useful as I just stick in a folder and all my results are together in one place

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I get print-outs of all my results. At first I asked the doctors, who used to give them to me when we were discussing them.

Now I get them from the receptionist as I go into the surgery. We don't do appointments, we just turn up before 10:30 - you'll be seen, though you sometimes have a long wait! I read through them while waiting, and if there's nothing on there that concerns me I tell the receptionist to take me off the list, and I go home. Saves both the GP's time and mine :D .

If I have a concern, or there's something else I need to see him about, I wait.

The receptionists are always wary about giving them to me, particularly if they are new to the practice, but there's always someone around who knows my system! If there are real difficulties, I just say "ask the doctor next time he comes out. Meanwhile I'll wait." I do try to be nice - but I am getting very intolerant of being patronised by someone young enough to be my grandchild!

We are now legally able to see our medical records, so stand your ground if the receptionist proves difficult. Same goes for the nurse. In fairness to them, they don't want to do anything wrong in case they get a b******ing - which is why I think it's always best to ask the doctor first, so s/he sets the precedent.

Viv 8)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I don't think your healthcare team is allowed to do that. I would check with the Diabetes UK careline [look on their website for the phone number!], but I'm pretty sure you are entitled to those results by law.
Hana

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
PS. I did a quick check and the Health Centre is obliged by law to give you any of your medical records which you ask for. I couldn't find out about requests in writing, but DUK will know.

Hana