Pump users

linsay

Hi
I have never posted anything here before so sorry of im rambling on. Im type 1 have been for 26years and today they told me that the funding was there now for me to get a pump. Great news i think but i actually know nothing about pumps and what you need to do to get sorted out with it. I know that the team will give me all the info and support i need but i would like to hear from the people who actually use a pump. Any info/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mark5745

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me getting the pump was the BEST thing since being diagnosed. You'll need to test lots to start with to work out what your basal level needs to be at different times of the day night after that you'll be able to cut down a little. But it's a lot better than having to do MDI

linsay

Oh thats good im so glad for you. I hope it does for me too. So i was wondering can u take it off for example on a beach holiday? Do u just go back to injections? Sorry if these seem silly questions.

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Linsay,
No questions are ever silly you need to make sure a pump is right for you and that's where all the questions come in handy. Yes you can take your pump off and go back on injections if you want to go somwhere like a beach holiday if you want to, but most people are quite happy to leave them on. Mine (animas vibe) is waterproof I believe the omnipod is as well, there may be some others. If it's not waterproof most are splash proof and most people can just unclip it from the infusion set and put it somewhere safe if they want to go swimming.
A pump gives people more freedom from routine of having to eat at certain times or get up at certain times it's a lot easier to be more flexible with what you eat and how much excercise you do. You are connected to the pump by a small infusion set usually plastic with a plastic tube (some can be metal) that sits underneath you skin wherever you have any chubby bits (most people go for stomach to start off with but there are loads of places). The basal rate delivers your insulin over 24hrs it can be adjusted to deliver different amounts throughout the day depending on what your needs are this would replace your long acting insulin. The bolus setting lets you deliver insulin when you need it depending on what your bg is and how much you've eaten. There are wizards in the pump that can calculate correction doses and carb insulin doses and it's possible to turn up or down your basal settings depending on your activity and extend boluses depending on the amounts of carb, fat, protein and fiber.
Most people find that they have much better control on a pump, I had never met anybody who had wanted to go back onto injections from a pump until just recently on this site, I think the main reasoning for this was that they didn't like being atatched to it 24/7. there's a pump part to this website with some good posts and there is also info on the site (not in the forum bit) about different types and some general info. Another good post is would you prefer to be on a pump or injections in the type 1 section.
If you've got any other questions ask away.
Laura

linsay

Hi Laura

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me. Yes this sounds like im gonna like it with the flexability. At the moment im on levimir at 7.30am. I cannot stand getting up for this on days off! I do it but hate it then again at 8pm. Ok great so how long can you unclip it for? I dont know which pump im going to get but if most are waterproof thats brill. My control could be better so thats a good thing too. Thanks. Linsay

l0vaduck

Hi from another Pump fan!

Mind you, I was on MDI for nearly 20 years before getting my pump and I don't think I EVER got up early or set an alarm to take my basal injection - I was always told that the basal dose is fairly flexible to within 3 hours or so!

My pump isn't waterproof but as has been said it's very easy to take it off if I go for a swim. You can take it off for up to an hour at a time and I don't swim for that long! I know some people do go back onto injections when on holiday but for me that would spoil my holiday.

My control has improved a lot since getting my pump and I find that I feel a lot more free with it. I can walk out the door without thinking - have I got my insulin? I don't need to work out before I start a meal how much I am going to eat because it's easy to top up. I can correct at any time wherever I am at the touch of a button. The best thing of all is that I don't get the awful basal induced hypos I used to get on MDI which were totally unpredictable and made life very tricky at times.

Keep asking questions!

Tiggertonia

They told me I can have a pump got first meet in like 7 day iam worried that when they working out my basal Amot that I have to stay in hospital over night and worried that with all my work out plans I do that I have to take it off as I go swimming for about 2 every other day and gym for 2 hours the day I not in the pool ?????

Tiggertonia

They told me I can have a pump got first meet in like 7 day iam worried that when they working out my basal Amot that I have to stay in hospital over night and worried that with all my work out plans I do that I have to take it off as I go swimming for about 2 every other day and gym for 2 hours the day I not in the pool ?????

l0vaduck

Tiggertonia said:

I'm not sure why you would have to stay in hospital overnight?

With regard to swimming, I'm not sure how you would manage a 2 hour swim on the pump - it should be possible but you would need to experiment to find out how best to manage it. Even though you only have quick acting insulin on a pump, most quick acting insulins actually last 4 hours so in theory it should be possible to manage with a longer break than the hour they recommend.

With regard to a work out that's not a problem as you can keep the pump on and just adjust your basal dose beforehand and during depending on what you're doing.

Put it this way: it can't be harder than managing it with injections!

Tiggertonia

They do say that I worry about the meet I got as to do they fit it the day they meet u or is it just and find the fact out ????? The gym I not to worry about it just the swimming and my job I work with Emi which is hard work and also around kids so bite worry if they pull it out and put it them self riqs and that... Could my body reject it ?? Can u lock them so button can't be pressed???? Would I be able to use it flying??? Would I able to go to Alton tower on the rides with it in???? There so many stupid question and yet it a life style choice u make to have a life with freedom but where the freedom stop xx