Medical Alert Tattoos?

violet6763

Nicely put. I don't want to have to remember to put on a necklace, bracelet, badge or keyring. I would like something easily seen. My understanding is that emergency services would check wrists first so diabetic on the inside of my wrist seems practical. The flowers will be over the wrist like a bracelet.
Anyone having a tattoo should make sure they have eaten properly prior to a tattoo. Your tattooist should also be aware you are diabetic. ..lol obvious withthe word but for other tattoos too.

Riversidegirl

Dislikes
Scare stories!
Don't mean to be rude whitewitch but I don't think you read this thread properly before you jumped on the preacher's soap box.

I like the idea of a tattoo for all events. The left wrist seems the best place to me as someone said it's the paramedics first choice of side.

I'm wondering if something like the ICE In Case of Emergency code could be put on a mobile phone too. Instead of making a person your ICE1 contact why not type "T2 Diabetic - Metformin"

Without wishing to hijack this thread what do you think?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Agree with the above. My original take on the subject were of people considering tattoos INSTEAD of a bracelet/tag etc.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Ambulance personnel/ fire service or first responders as part of their training would look out for medical alert tags or bracelets. Anything else, tattoos, mobile phone contacts etc are a nice addition but should be "as well as", not "instead of"

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I have type one diabetic tattooed on my right wrist with little chain links and handcuffs attached to the chain link so it looks like a bracelet :)

smifffy40

Dislikes
Cruelty to kids or animals.
Spongers who just dont want to work.
Immigration policy (no im not racist before people say)
Tories.
Carol Vorderman.
People who are too old to drive (two bad experiences ive seen lately)
Im not going to get into the politics of whether its right or wrong for tattoos and poisoning etc lol ! I have had T1 for 21 years exactly on 23rd March 2013 and i have just had a big tattoo on the outside of my arm..... I like the symbol with a pole, 2 x snakes and wings and was going to get it on the inside of my arm because i like it and it will cover my arm completely (half sleeve)
I was just wondering whether this symbol was an American diabetic sign or worldwide? Im English.
P.S. It isnt for emergency services (I have a wristband for that) it is just something to symbolise me as a person..

AMBrennan

Staff 2 snakes is the caduceus, the staff of Hermes. For reasons you can look up wikipedia, it was chosen as the symbol for the US medical corps instead of the traditional rod of Asclepius which continues to be used elsewhere. Read more

smifffy40

Dislikes
Tories.
Carol Vorderman.
AMBrennan said:
Staff 2 snakes is the caduceus, the staff of Hermes. For reasons you can look up wikipedia, it was chosen as the symbol for the US medical corps instead of the traditional rod of Asclepius which continues to be used elsewhere. Read more

Yes i have looked this up on wiki and seen it says US medical corps est 1902.....but I have seen other sites with this sign tattooed on people with "type one diabetic" or "type two diabetic" tattooed above or below it , so was wondering how it as become linked to Diabetics...? also googled "diabetic symbols" and this sign is prominent in seaches!
Anyways i think i may still get it on my inside arm because i like it...unless i see something else between now and two weeks time... and yes i am barking mad..believe me lol

AMBrennan

The official symbol for diabetes is the blue circle
diabetesbluecircle.png
, which is also in the top image results for "diabetes symbol" but I've never seen it in real life.

The reason for the association is pretty clear - medical alert jewellery features the recognisable symbol of medicine because it has to be recognisable above all else. Since the Caduceus is frequently used in that capacity in the US, you'll also get a number of people using that symbol in medical jewellery and tattoos.

smifffy40

Dislikes
Tories.
Carol Vorderman.
Thanks for your help and replies..You have been a help to me!

smifffy40

Dislikes
Tories.
Carol Vorderman.
Denise02 said:
I'm thinking about this aswell the blue circle and the snakes in the middle:)

Cool...Can you post a pic? I was just thinking of the snakes and wings on the inside of my bicep......the blue wont go with the rest of the tattoo unfortunately for me...I have a big coi carp which soon is going to have orange and red in it and japanese maple leaves around it etc etc....but mostly going to have oranges reds in it..Im just wanting this to join in with the rest of it to complete the half sleeve..

Denise02

I don't no how 2 put a pic up of it this is the best I can do let me no if u can get it or not

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1363310316.645576.jpg
    ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1363310316.645576.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,372

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Yes Denise it has come out well, even on my iPad :clap:

WilliamIrvine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who think they are the only one's in the world that have any problems, animal abuse of any type
Like the tattoo :)

smifffy40

Dislikes
Tories.
Carol Vorderman.
Denise02 said:
I don't no how 2 put a pic up of it this is the best I can do let me no if u can get it or not

Yeh that picture has come out ok.. Its nice..Personally i dont like tattooing the words Diabetic, Type 1 etc on my arm...Would rather wear my silcone band...but hey were all different!

smifffy40

Dislikes
Tories.
Carol Vorderman.