Desang Kitbags And A Top Tip

Tony_Holden

Dislikes
Mills and Boon books, hip hop music, New Labour.
I can't find a review of Desang's Slim Kitbags so I thought I'd post one.

After reading and contributing to the How Do You Carry Yours thread I decided I'd try one of the Desang kitbags. I ordered one of the slim models as I'm type 2 and don't need insulin or it's attendant paraphernalia.

The Kitbag arrived in the post this morning.

I'll admit that my first thought was that my Accu-Chek Compact Plus GT wouldn't fit, but it does, sliding into the pouch with a nice snug fit with the softclix lancer fastened to its side. The kitbag is well made and it fits everything I want in there. There is space in the smaller pouch for two spare drums of test strips in their containers, two tubes of glucotabs, spare lancets, a pen/pencil and logbook. This allows the kitbag to potentially carry enough consumables for 51 blood tests. More than enough for a week away.

I've also tried this with my spare meter an Ascensia Contour, again everything fits in just fine with perhaps a little more free space.

The odd thing I've found is that it seems as if the slim kitbag is designed specifically with the Compact Plus GT in mind with the way everything fits so well.

As a quick top tip, for those people using the Compact Plus meter, I've found that the containers for the test strip drums make excellent small travelling sharps containers for the used Softclix lancets once you remove the desiccant and cardboard cover from inside the top. I've stuck a picture of the biohazard symbol and two labels saying "Sharps" on it. It fits in the kitbag in place of one of the spare drums.

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
Hi,
I agree the strip container is a good place for sharps on the move, but the new Accu-Chek bag, with the elastic , does not have any space for a new strip or empty container, a backward move Accu-check.
Graham55 T2 for almost a year.

Tony_Holden

Dislikes
Mills and Boon books, hip hop music, New Labour.
If you look inside the Accu-Check bag you'll find a flap, if you lift that you can push two drum containers past it, lower the flap and the meter and lancer still fit fine with spare lancets in the zip compartment.

Trinkwasser

Tony_Holden said:
As a quick top tip, for those people using the Compact Plus meter, I've found that the containers for the test strip drums make excellent small travelling sharps containers for the used Softclix lancets once you remove the desiccant and cardboard cover from inside the top. I've stuck a picture of the biohazard symbol and two labels saying "Sharps" on it. It fits in the kitbag in place of one of the spare drums.

You change your lancets??? Gosh!!! <G>

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
I do exactly what Tony has mentioned... with the sharpes container and the flap in the accu-chek compact plus case.

Great minds think alike!

While im using my ultrasmart meter at the moment, i use an empty strip pot for the used test strips, i found a cool looking biohazard symbol on google, printed it out and stuck it on the used strips pot. Fit's perfectly into the base above the fixed pot of new strips between the meter and the lancet. I also keep the lid of one pot in the case net bag to put the control solution onto so i can suck it up with the strip when i do a control test.

saffireblue

I just ordered myself the slim desang kitbag, the tan leather one, and it's going to be a blessing to me. Yesterday, I had to run around town, and I usually carry all my gear in a plastic pouch in the bottom of my handbag, I am an insulin user, so I had a pen in there, along with the stuff that goes with it. I made the mistake of setting my handbag down at a friend's house, who has a lively and clumsy big dog. When he sat down on my handbag, all I heard was a sickening crunch, and knew immediately what had happened. Not only was my insulin pen cracked and dripping all over everything, but the supply of needles was flattened. Well, those things happen, but it taught me a lesson, and today I decided to get a kitbag to safeguard my supplies when I'm out for the day. The Desang single type bag is all I really need, and that's a good tip about using an empty drum container for used sharps. Will let you know more about how I like my bag when it arrives!!!

SB

saffireblue

Ok...got my Desang slim kitbag yesterday. Boy, that was fast. It's every bit of what they claim it to be, and after searching online, I found that both in the UK and in the US, this is the brand that sells the best. I am very very happy with mine. It is extremely well built, and will probably outlast me. I only use it around the house, and to carry with me on daytrips in my handbag, but now if someone's dog decides to sit on it, nothing will be damaged!!! I would suggest that for anyone who plans on traveling, the 'Classic' model would be the one to get, as it is larger, and I will eventually get one of those also.

Anyhow, folks, this is a happy customer, and this is also a product worth endorsing!

SB

P.S...it's a nice looking piece of kit, too, as the tan leather one looks rather elegant. (For us girls)

Marky74

I have been using the Slim kitbag for a few weeks now, iam really impressed, as I can fit in all my stuff in for a day out.

I am tempted to get the Rollbag or classic for whan I have to work away for a week.

berryheadpie

Dislikes
liver fish and drunks that spit on you when they r taking to you
i use an insulin pump and have to carry quite a lot of stuff with me everywhere i go great excuse to buy a new handbag but what do fellow pumpers use to keep their pump stuff organised i am keen to know

arjster

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Sundays!
Tony,

Did you use the Diabetes09 code to get 15% off for us Diabetes.co.uk members?

:lol:

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been looking at bags and such and the only thing I really have against most of them is that you have to carry them around.

I tried a gadget thigh bag which was actually quite good comfort wise and looked pretty cool but didnt quite fit all my kit, if only it had been a bit bigger.

The thing is that I would like something that is hands free since I tend to either be walking, running, cycling or on a motor bike and a small rucksack is slight overkill for day to day kit portability.

Anyone found anything else?

Andy

Chrissy2k

Hi, I use the Desang Classic kitbag and I must say, it is really good, it holds everything I need and looks very stylish, my daughters bought me mine for my birthday and I must say, it's the best gift I've ever had. It holds an insulin pen, a finger pricker, all my testing equipment, needles, barrels, cotton wool, you name it, it's in there. A very nice way to keep everything tidy and safe :D

Chrissy

redrevis

I too have just bought the Classic Desang kitbag. It arrived this morning. I also think this was a great purchase. Good quality leather, not too big, but space for everything you could need. I received a free Accu-check Multiclix finger pricker with mine too which was a nice surprise :D

MegaMan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not much I'm easy going :D
I've ordered the (Classic kitbag, black leather) so it should be here in the new year :mrgreen: I'm glad you all like the Desnag bag. Since you all think it's a good bag I know I've made the right choice. Finally all my Diabetic need can be put into one bag. I even used Diabetic.co.uk discount code to get 10% off :lol:

When it arrives I'll let you know what I think of it.

Dustydazzler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sore feet, spiders, feeling hungry, night time hypos
In response to Berryheadpie, I use the accu-chec combo pump. I carry emergency pump supplies in a pencil case in my handbag. I carry two spare canulars with tubing, the link assist, batteries for both pump and handset, a spare cartridge for insulin, a vial of insulin, a spare tub of testing strips and some lancets. It sounds like a lot but it fits into a small squared see-through pencil case from a major stationary shop. I've ha to use this emergency kit a couple of times. Once I pulled out my canular when I went to the bathroom and it caught on my jeans and got completely pulled out in one swift second and the other time I got a low battery warning on my handset and then it completely died on me! I thought I would have had a number of hours after the low warning but it was literally a minute and that was it. So thankfully my pencil case supplies have saved the day!