Have you had trouble getting test strips?

Have you ever had trouble getting test strips?

• Yes

Votes: 96 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 75 43.9%

• Total voters

garythegob

I am T2, on metformin, gliclazide, byetta and atorvastatin, i have had various meters since i was diagnosed in 2003 and my meter now is the BAYER CONTOUR NEXT USB, given to me by hospital, and i have never ever had any problems getting lancets, or test strips, N.I.C.E guide lines state that ANYONE USING MEDICATION TO CONTROL DIABETES SHOULD HAVE ACCESS TO SELF TESTING

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

cezzle

The very first prescription we put in for my Type 1 daughter was questioned and we were told we were testing too much. The dsn sorted that out. They've done it again once more since then but backed down once I kicked up a stink.

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had to ring the GP yesterday to get my perscriptions re-autherised, and asked them to change the strips to a different type, and the doc I spoke to did not have a clue what PIP codes were and then went on to put the wrong strips on the repeat form, even thogh gave them all the details, (as I found out today).

I had already made a diabetic review appointment as been on gliclazde around a month and wanted a new base line to work from and to see if weight, blood pressure was up. I mentioned about the meter and strip problems. In the case of the meters they no longer provide them as from what I understood they could be pushing one supplier in preferance to another one.

Tests strips is a bit different, while the nurse was trying to sort out my perscriptions (pending doctors approval) it was mentioned that with the GP's practice some doctors did not have a problem issueing perscriptions while others were not keen on issueing perscriptions for the strips. As the perscription for my strips is waiting for a doctor to sign it, I am waiting to see if I get any. I did mention if the qty could now be increased as I am now testing a lot more (due to the gliclazide effects) and she was not very hopefull on this ocasion and said to wait to see how the current request goes and then ring her if I have any problems.

Get the feeling that they are just as frustrated as there no common standard even within the same GP practice.

garythegob

garythegob said:
mrsportion said:
Gary, signed and shared on FB. good luck. Newly diagnosed type 2. Dr says I don't need one but I want to make a conscious effort so will buy one today.

When you go and buy it, make sure you ask for the VAT free form to fill out, being diabetic entitles you to a never VAT FREE

THAT SHOULD SAY METER LOL

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The docs have now removed all test strips off my repeat perscription, :( :( just hope I don't have a battle to get them back on.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
im type 1 , my doctor was ok when i had a accu-chek aviva meter , but i received a freestyle insulinx meter , i informed my doctors about the change in meter for future perscriptions . i ordered strips asking for 2oo i only received 100

colacard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My daughter has never had a problem with test strips, once a few years ago I ordered her extras as we were going on holiday ad I wanted to take 2 lots of everything in case something happened.they questioned the amount but when I explained they gave us what was ordered. X

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had my first repeat prescription - two packs of 50 no problem :thumbup:

I'm type 2 on insulin but only test twice a day and on the rare occassion when I drive.

WilliamIrvine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who think they are the only one's in the world that have any problems, animal abuse of any type
I am Type 1 and never had any issues.... in fact my GP has just prescribed me over 200 test strips for 2 meters ( 1 for the house, 1 that I carry in a back pack when I go out and about) and just today another 50 of another test strip for a different meter that I keep in the car.

I have to say that way my GP is fantastic.

titchy_lou

Thought I was going to have an argument with the doctor today. Refused to give me test strips because it was 'too soon'...50 test strips have lasted just 2 weeks, so they'll be moaning at me when I ask for more in 2 weeks' time...

Diabetes type 1.5
Diagnosed September 2011
Currently on basal insulin

colacard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Testing at least 4 times a day, 7 days a week that's at least 28 strips a week how can they expect a box of 50 to last more than 2 weeks!!

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good result for me today after having the test strips removed from the repeat. I sent a letter explaining that the new meds can cause lows and that following DVLA's guide lines that I need to test before and 2 hours while driving.

I asked if my origional perscription could be increased to a repeat of 150, expecting if lucky to get the origional qty of 100 back, called in the chemist to see if any perscriptions were ready and in there waiting for me was a new perscription of test strips. They not only gave me the 100 strips and the increase I asked for, but they increased it to 200 strips per perscription. :)

JohnFox

The GP practice that I am enrolled at refuses to let me have test strips or lancets, saying that 'as I decline to use drugs, I will not get 'Hypos' and therefore do not need to test...
As I am keeping control of my sugar levels by care with my diet, I need test strips as much or more than if I were taking drugs, as I need the feed-back to understand what is happening as my body reacts to my food intake...
It is thirteen years since I was diagnosed as diabetic, and it is seven years since I was first told to take drugs : I have none of the 'inevitable' problems, but I have to buy my own strips and lancets...
John Fox in London.

JohnFox

The GP practice that I am enrolled at refuses to let me have test strips or lancets, saying that 'as I decline to use drugs, I will not get 'Hypos' and therefore do not need to test'...
As I am keeping control of my sugar levels by care with my diet, I need test strips as much or more than if I were taking drugs, as I need the feed-back to understand what is happening as my body reacts to my food intake...
It is thirteen years since I was diagnosed as diabetic, and it is seven years since I was first told to take drugs : I have none of the 'inevitable' problems, but I have to buy my own strips and lancets...
John Fox in London.