One step forward, two step backwards.

why-me?

Yesterday I was out with my family and a big group of family friends, we were watching Wales win the grand slam in the pub so I was having a couple of beers. I was in a great mood when suddenly everyone began nagging me about my bloods and injection. For the fact I haven't checked my bloods for months I panicked and once again lied to them telling them it was all fine. Even with Wales winning I was left in a really bad mood thinking all of this over. It really really gets me down and was trying so hard not to cry, just simple things as some one even mentioning my diabetes can get me crying. I ended up texting my best friends and showing her my previous post on here basically saying how I feel, she's the first person Ive really ever told how I feel about my diabetes, I felt 100 times better after being able to speak to her and she was so supportive! it really helped me to know someone was still on my side. But I have a hospital appointment soon and I'm just too scared, I haven't told my family and won't tell my family because I'm scared the doctors will tell my parents that I'm not coping and I don't need them nagging me 24/7... I want to go to sort it out, but I don't feel like I can on my own. I refuse to speak to the one doctors because he's just so patronising towards me and I'm just scared no one will take me seriously! Last time I went about a year ago they offered me counselling but I refused it and would again but I want things I change and don't even know where to start! Help?!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Why-me

1st off.. Wales deserved to win that match!! They thrashed the english. I have welsh friends ( I usedto live there) and all day Saturday and ever since they have texted me with their winning jibes!!!-- heres just two...
'"Admiral insurance not accepting claims on burnt out chariots"
"When entering WALES please be quiet nation has hangover".....

Well done Wales!!!

Do you think you could take just a small step toward helping yourself of doing one or some tests each day?

I know you are getting so upset with your family and people close to you for their attempts to try and tale an interest in your diabetes. I have to say, that they are trying to help, they will be seeing your reactions and emotions, but.... They are not diabetics, and wont have a full understanding of just what the impact of this can have on diabetics....

What steps do you think you can take to help yourself?

Is there a local support group in your area that you could go to? Many areas have parent and children meetings.. Perhaps you could go to one of these with your friend. I'm not suggesting you go with your parents, although this would be good. Its just that you will find in a group of children and parents.. That you may be able to speak to other youngsters that may well have gone through feelings that you are feeling.

Well done, on telling your friend by the way.

What do you feel able to do? It is great that you have found this forum for support, well done for logging in and posting, but would you be able to tell us what you feel you are able to do?

noosrat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi noosrat here

well for me also i felt the same exactly same way n for 5 years i have not bothered taking it into control. i eat adn lead a normal life and whenever my brother who is a doctor talk about it just the mention of that word "diabete" scared me, got me in very bad mood and make me run away. i NVER talk to anyone about me having type 1 diabete and i got angry if someone happens to know it. but one thing START just by testing ur bs in the morning! do it by urself without letting ohters know about it. go in a hidden place where no one can see u. NOW if ever it is high, dont panic, just say ok and eat something of less sugar. u will by urself be aware of it and control it without u knowing about it. but do test again wihtout letting others see u else they will ask u the result and show a lot of faces expressions that will annoy u. so hide and test! now if it is good, u will be the happiest person onn earth and be encouraged to test more often. but DONT BE DISCOURAGED IF IT IS HIGH ! it will drop day by day and u will be more controlled. now start by doing 2 tests daily; later try 3 tests daily. u can join me if u need to talk in my email [email protected]

manxangel

Dislikes
Loud and brash people and arguments
I understand how you are feeling. I ha similar feelings when I was first diagnosed!! Promise!!! I wish I could tell you it's gets better but in honesty it doesn't. Diabetes just becomes part of the daily life after a while. I will hate injecting I still hate testing I still hate ppl asking about my levels and don't even mention going to clinic as my blood pressure goes through the roof!!!
Eventually it will get to a stage where you have to think this is just part I who I am now. It seems like a million miles away from what you are feeling at the moment but it will happen. It took me 5 years.
I was offered counselling too but in my case they did more harm than good

i get its almost a year after but i have exactley the same problem i told my parents i been testing my bloods when i hadnt and everyone went crazy at my hospital appoinment my mum was crying as my habc1 was really high she told all my freinds and now everyone is on my case 24/7 i wish i never got t1!
god ...what did i do wrong, was i a mistake?

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I felt the same for many years. But eventually I moved beyond those feelings. It is about acceptance. I know exactly how hard that is and I once thought I would never ever ever ever be able to accept it. I totally agree with the idea of starting with one test a day and gradually increasing. Keeping it to yourself is also a great idea as well meaning people don't realise the effect they are having. Unlike the earlier poster I can honestly tell you I no longer hate diabetes. I don't hate injecting or testing. No one could have convinced me that day would come, but it did. Be patient and kind to yourself but please try and mind yourself.

Lovelylivpet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When you say - Haven't done a test in months- were you being sarlcastic? Hope so :problem:

Juliemch96

You should consider speaking to your doctor about getting a pump, I didn't take any injections for a year except lantus twice a week.. I never checked my bloods and when I did they were too high for the moniter too read, I've had all these problems, I've been on the pump for two months and everything is going so good no more injections 4-6 times a day and checking your bloods isn't scary anymore as they are more or less perfect all they time and when they aren't you don't need to worry about another injection, trust me it'll be worth talking to, as I was with the kids service at the time they sent me to a physiologist DID NOT HELP AT ALL do not go if your given the option it's a waste of time.. Trust me just talk