Diabetic toffee.....

Shazzle80

My husband bought me some thorntons diabetic toffee the other day (which is rather thoughtful of him!) but I wondered whether you guys think its a good buy??

It still feels naughty to eat it! :)

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Don't overdo it or you will be in the bathroom most of the night. The trouble with diabetic choc and toffee they tend to have a laxative effect, so easy does it. I would stick to normal chocs and toffee in MODERATION!!

Nice thought though hubby!!

Shazzle80

Thank you.......the bathroom effect is definitely worth knowing!!

I think I'll take your advice on normal chocolate.....but as a rare treat :) xx

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I had some of this the other week for my birthday. I found it was ok if I stuck to 1 piece of an evening. It was very nice. I also got given a bar of Thorntons milk chocolate (no added sugar) and that was just heaven.........until I ate a bit too much and had horrible stomach cramps with a very windy bottom the next day. That made sure I only had a small piece at a time!!!! :lol:

It was very nice though.

WilliamIrvine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who think they are the only one's in the world that have any problems, animal abuse of any type
Yeah all diabetic products have the wonderful laxative effect.

Nice thought from hubbie but as one of the posters said - eat normal chocs and toffee's etc but in moderation.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure if you're T1 or T2, but most diabetics with some experience would say leave well alone... it IS a nice thought, and having a little won't do you any harm, but generally, having a small amount of normal toffee won't do you any harm either and will be cheaper and won't have a laxative effect. Obviously if you're T1 you can adjust insulin levels to match whatever you eat, but if you're T2 it may be more problematic.

Moderation is always the way to go! :D

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, my relatives give me 'diabetic' chocolates and sweets which is very kind of them but they all contain sugar alcohols such as Maltitol etc. These do help you go to the loo but also do raise blood sugar; not as much as straight sucrose but I'm told about half as much. You can still have normal chocolate but 85% Dark Chocolate is the best as it contains fairly low carbs.

Shazzle80

Thanks everyone. I quite enjoy the 85% chocolate so think ill stick to that......makes me feel less guilty too!! At the moment my diabetes is insulin managed gestational, but due to a very early diagnosis they suspect ill be type2 afterwards.

Any advice on good treats would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance. :)