How often do you change your needle?

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a novonordisk penfill 3ml and I probably only change the needle once or twice during each vial of insulin. I was wondering, are there any T1s out there who change the needle for every single injection?

SueR

I change mine after every injection. I use prefilled pens with mixed insulin and so after every injection the needle is removed. When I inject again I put a clean needle on.

Needles are free on the NHS, so why risk and infection from a dirty needle..

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I change needle daily so I use 1 for approx 4 injections. I get them free on prescription but waste not want not !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ivinghoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
professional football
I change every time i inject, I used to keep them on for ages but then found they cuased a lot of scar tissue to build up around my injection sites so I now remove the needle after every injection. (It also stops rubbish being sucked back into the insulin cartridge or being injected next time around due to temperature changes causing the insulin in the pen cartridges to expand and contract)

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow! I'm thinking that changing them every day (or every other day) might be a good option instead of waiting!!

BobCornelius

I change needles for every single injection! They are designed for single use, and should only be used once!

I know it's your choice and all that, but if you think you are saving the NHS a few pence a week by reusing needles, think about how much it will cost to treat the infection / complications that arise from reusing!

:)

Bob

jperry

I change the needle for each injection. I didn't use to but they are supposed to be single use and changing each time hurts a lot less.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Once per day. Change my needles, meter's lancet and put all my used strips in my sharps bin. Used to do it once per week or so, but I really notice the difference if leave it longer than a day.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I change my needle every time but have been reusing the lancets. Change around every other day. Starting to rethink that now though as I do notice it hurts less with a new one!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can anyone say that you notice a difference in comfort or dose accuracy when you change every time? What for you do with the used needle and packaging? How do you carry the needles?

Sorry for all the questions!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no idea about dose accuracy, but I wouldn't want to reuse a needle unless I have no other choice. They are designed for single use! I get no pain from injecting

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On the lancet, not often enough to be honest, usually change it once its too blunt to pierce first time.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ouch! If I don't change it every day or so I start getting bruising

WilliamIrvine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who think they are the only one's in the world that have any problems, animal abuse of any type
Guys I cannot stress enough that you should change your lancets and needles after each use. They are only designed to be used once.

If you use needles to inject insulin the needle is actually "bent" at a microscopic level as soon as you inject. If you continue to use this needle you are doing more and more damage to both the needle and yourself. I am sure it will be the same with lancets.... except in the lancet you will have blood remaining there which I am sure will have an effect on future blood test results.

Please guys change after each use. If you have hassles getting the lancets and needles then time to contact your health board and perhaps your MP also

Reactions: 2 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hmm, I think I'm starting to come round to the idea. It's all about improving precision I suppose. A bit of a pain to lug extra needles around though. Anyone know of any suitable needle carry cases?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Change the needle after every use, once over I'd reuse them but not any more. Lancet, I do try and rotate the drum after every use but must admit I don't every time.