mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi, I am going from basal insulin only to the fast acting and basal insulin this Fri after a while onmy "honeymoon period". Can anyone recommend a good app for the iPhone which will help with carb counting ? Many thanks in advance.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The carbs and cals app is great. It's about £4 but worth it!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Thanks, I don't mind paying if it works. I'll take a look. Is it easy to use ? I have never counted carbs before !

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup mega simple. You search for the food you had then add it to a meal. So say it was spaghetti Bolognaise, you look at the pictures and choose the portion size you had. Then if you had cheese on top you add that on to. Then when you're done it gives you a total carb content :) I just started carb counting a week ago so I'm just working out the details too. Some days I think I've got my ratio cracked and then the next it's a shambles!

Carbs and cals also has a book. It has more items in it than the app, but the app is good for being out and about! I have both

Pearsall85

Myfitnesspal is the best app out there for carb counting as it has a built in barcode scanner so you can input each meal as you make it and you will be able to total up the carbs.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have used my fitness pal for about 2 years prior to diagnosis just for fitness as I liked the carb counter, but the barcode scanner often doesn't give full nutritional info. I've found a few times it gives only calories and nothing else

bethan90

I agree with above posts. I used to use carbs and cals app and it's very simple to use. However, I now use myfitnesspal all the time because I'm tracking my food on there. It's a really good one to use for carb counting especially when eating out a lot of the time they have the nutritional values for food from different restaurant chains which is helpful.