Diabetic chocolate

Pandanose

A friend bought me some diabetic chocolate for my birthday, Thornton box of various bits and pieces. And yeah, I know it doesn't make a difference but bless them for trying. Anywho, had a few nibbles because I've been goodish lately and thought why not. Well all was good. Tasted alright considering so nibbled some more...

Dear god, please let me leave the bathroom soon.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: Diabetic chocolate

Well I'm not sure if this turned out god or bad but thanks for making me laugh.:lol:

colacard

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Lol I used to buy this for my daughter until she told me of this problem the DN then told us of its laxative problems, better to have a little normal chocolate. X

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity

Commiserations. :(

I 'treated' myself to some 'diabetic sweets' a month or so after being diagnosed. Dear God ... I don't have words to describe the bathroom issues ... apart from ... 'continuous' and 'extremely painful'. It started within minutes of eating a couple of the sweets and I felt like I was passing shards of glass for about 6 hours or so. As soon as I came out of the bathroom, I immediately needed to go back in and I didn't know what I felt I was going to die of first, the excruciating pain or exhaustion!

Never, ever, ever again will I buy anything specifically 'diabetic friendly'. There is one particular sweetener that has that effect on me and I think it's sorbitol. It's also in some sugar free chewing gums.

From then on, if I've fancied chocolate, which isn't very often, I eat a little of the normal stuff. :)

MattyK

I've been there too, I tried some when first diagnosed about 18 years ago. It wasn't very nice and was more like a weird powdery texture, which I thought was bad enough...... My god, I thought I would need to put loo roll in the fridge too!
I always found that having a little bit of normal choc straight after a meal works very well for me, and works as a treat every now and then!

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, exactly, it was like a waterfall of fire. :shock:[/quote]
Oh grace. That's the funniest thing I've read in ages and certainly tops my thunder dumpling:grin:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity

MCMLXXIII said:
Yes, exactly, it was like a waterfall of fire. :shock:
Oh grace. That's the funniest thing I've read in ages and certainly tops my thunder dumpling:grin:[/quote]

Tis funny now :D but was bl***y painful then :?

l0vaduck

Apparently prunes contain naturally occurring sorbitol. Neither prunes nor sweets containing sorbitol have any effect on me - do prunes have the same effect on those of you who have trouble with the chocolates? Just wondering....

markfpurdue

Dislikes
The work 'Diet'
My wife has a Thorntons franchise so it is difficult.... Lol!
My diabetic nurse advised me to stay away from the diabetic foods. She advised to eat normal products but to limit consumption. I must admit I do like some if the products, but not the boiled sweets.
Does anybody have a view on any of the above?

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Master roth 70 ( or 85) % cocoa from Aldi, conveniently loaded into smaller bars:smile:

@myroomsadisco

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.

Should I feel bad for laughing at that last line? :lol:

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Nope. But you could look at it on twitter:grin:

@myroomsadisco

Lucyturner

I know I shouldn't laugh but this thread has been really funny, I was told by my dn to avoid all diabetic foods as they have the effects as told above so I've not been there myself. Thank you all for confirming her advise I will stick to a little of the normal foods.

Lucy

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity

Pandanose said:
Always good if you're bunged up and don't mind a little crippling pain. I've moved mine to the medicine cabinet.

Oh God nooooooooo. Even if I was bunged up for a month I'd NEVER touch another 'diabetic sweet' or 'diabetic chocolate' ever again. There should be a law against the stuff. If it could set my backside on fire in less than 3 minutes, what the hell was it doing to my innards is what I want to know? :roll: