Novorapid between meals?

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I take Lantus slow-acting insulin every night, and Novorapid before breakfast, lunch and dinner. Before lunch, my sugar was 4.8; I took what I thought was the right dose for what I was eating, but now I'm feeling all fuzzy-headed and sluggish, and my sugar's up to 10.2. Is it OK to take another unit of insulin, or should I just put up with feeling grotty until my next mealtime?

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Haha, diabetes.co.uk have just posted a video on Facebook which answers my question! :lol:

sue cope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am on the same 2 Insulins as you are. I often find that, especially at lunch, I take what I feel to be the right dose, but am often very high when I test, even just before dinner. I don't know why this is, I presume I just don't take enough Novorapid, but I just leave well alone. Unless you are only small doses of Insulin, I don't see how another unit would help.

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I usually take between 10-12 units before a meal, and that difference of 3 can make a big difference to my sugars. Today my sugar was a bit low, so I only took 10, whereas I'd usually take 11 with lunch, that's why I thought an extra unit might do it.

The trouble with leaving well alone is that I'm a self-employed writer, and if I'm in a brain fog due to high BS, I can't write - I just stare at the screen and no words come. Which is not what you want when you're on a deadline! It doesn't matter so much in the evening, I can just slouch in front of the TV :)

cezzle

Are you carb counting? If so, and your sugars aren't in range aftet 2 hours you can do a correction dose. How much depends on individuals - my 7 year old has a correction ratio of 1 -4n ie 1 unit will bring her down 4 mmols. You may also need to look at your carb ratios for mealtimes if you are regularly high xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'd love to be carb counting, but my insulin ratios seem to be more or less random. One day I can wake up with a BS of 9, have 10 units of insulin and 2 weetabix for breakfast, and a couple of hours later my BS is 5, the next day I can start with the same BS, have the same insulin and the same breakfast, get the same amount of exercise and my BS is still 9 two hours later. My DSN reckons my pancreas produces insulin some days and not others. All I can do is take a best guess and try and keep it in sensible limits, which I mostly manage, thankfully!