Hypers

sarah1282

Hello everyone just wondering if anyone else has had the same as me. Im type 2 and if I dont eat at regular times I get very shaky dizzy pale this happened again on sunday and my sugars were 16.9 im just hoping this is normal
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kenl696

Re: Hypers

Hiya

It happened to me as well on Friday while looking at things in Iceland - I did'nt no what was happening but had the same things happen dizzy,shaky,sweaty, turned funny colour. Got home tested 15 on meter thought no it couldnt be a hypo as I'm Type 2 and the reading was high.

Seen my Diabetic nurse today and she said it was a hypo told me to keep lucazade in car and get some glucose tablets for the car and to keep on me at all times just in case - she also mentioned that it would be good to get into better routine with food as this happened to me just before lunch time so all I had was a light breakfast in the morning.

Ken

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Confusing

Sarah seems to be describing a hyper (too much sugar) and Pat is describing a hypo (too little sugar). Both are nasty

You can go hyper if you have eaten all the wrong things or if a liver dump of sugar cannot be coped with by the insulin you produce.

A hypo is likely if you take medication and don't eat to match it. Non diabetics can also go hypo if they don't eat and then exercise a lot and the body will eventually cope but shaking, vagueness, headache etc. can happen to anyone.

sarah1282

Glad its not just me this happens to lol.
Im confused too I thought hypos whete when your sugat levels are low and hypers are when they are high. Also does anyone know if we can have nurofen cos on the packet it says speak to dr before taking if your diabetic?

Lozzybabyw

A couple of months ago I thought there was a connection between sugar &me falling asleep! I get dizzy & eyes blurry first.. I was falling asleep walking down the road& still sometimes:-/ I've tested my theory out over this time period.. It really DOES!! That's why being diabetic we feel tired a lot the sugar makes us sleepy not the other things like meds... I don't take any meds for it or test as the doctor says I'm diabetic but borderline type 2 diabetic!

Lady P

My diabetic drs tell me u cant gave hypers or hypis being type 2! My daughter suffers wuth what i believe ti be hyoers but cant get anyone to listen! :roll:

Lozzybabyw

When I have said to the doctor about what I experience. My doctor suggested that I may have sleep apnea.. I have looked into this & I don't think this is true. My other symptoms I've been given medication for separately which help in lowering the amount I have them, but I still get these issues at times.. If tabs don't work my doc said for excess sweating he would put me forward to have my sweat glands sorted through key hole surgery! I take beta blockers for my heart rate.. these slow my heart & therefore helping me..
From checking it all out.. If it is a normal day type of one I need to get active or find something other than reading or TV to concentrate on... This works well & is helping a bit, but if it's because I have been exercising all I can do is wait to come out of it! Walking down the road is more scary.. Sometimes it's about trying to stay awake until I can get home & sleep my way out of it.. Eating doesn't help or drinking at that stage! I have a child, has found a good few ways to help me through it.. I feel for her as it is even scary for me& I thank my stars my child can help get me through. She shouldn't have to:-( I feel embarrassed as if it's bad enough.. I look drunk going by what I have been told! I drink maybe once or twice a year if that! my drinks are water, maybe a coffee, A squash if really need taste.. Green tea If tired then with caffeine if not decaf.. Get heart rate issues & caffeine can speed it up again.. So does exercise... I try to balance it all. I'm just told that it isn't down to the diabetes. It's all of this that led me to a diagnosis in the first place! I'd given up smoking, then I got all these issues, was going to the gym but put on weight. For years had excess sweating but it got uncontrollable, then with that my heart rate was pounding& breathing difficult! I will then cool down drinking lots of water to hydrate... Confusion blurry eyed ,Then I go really cold & shake cold sweat, I'm soaked, then sleep!! Some days i get a real craving for the sweet stuff it's sometimes just food galore. i've calmed it lately, though I'll do it &not register that I have until after!! Normally this is the last stage but it's not every time either... I have tried to stop buying all the sweets etc, but that's when I realised at those times anything goes! finally had blood tests done & then the fasting ones& get told I have diabetes type 2!! It took a year to get to that diagnosis.. Before that anxiety tabs, I proved I'm not anxious other than when I have these issues.. Heart scan all ok other than the rate..
I make myself sleep well mostly, though this seems to have no baring on it either! I will always keep saying my issues etc.. All I can do is hope that one day it is picked up on properly.. As with anyone else that gets them!

AileenF

Re: Hypers and hypos

I have just recently joined this forum, as I have also been on diabetes medication for 3 months now, have type 2 diabetes, and I can actually say i feel awful. I feel exhausted all the time even though I then can't sleep at night, I lie awake for hours, then when it is time to get up for work I want to sleep. I cant wait to get home from work some days so I can have a lie down. I keep getting times when I come out in a cold sweat all over, and I feel dizzy, panicky, and it happens both when I am hungry and also when I have not long since eaten. I have spoken to my diabetic nurse about this and she didnt seem to understand it1 At first she said it was low blood sugar as I was hungry but I explained it also happens when Ive eaten! She says to carry sweets about with me to take when I feel like this, to see if it helps. I really am struggling with this at the moment, as I feel as if the medication it worse. I have to get my bloods checked tomorrow, so see what that shows. The exhaustion is really getting to me too.

Does anyone else feel like this and what help/advice are you getting if any??

I would appreciate your help on this.

Thanks, Aileen x

sarah1282

Yep especially when im hungry I actually feel like im starving but my levels are high my dr or nurse doesn't know why so I know exactly how you feel its horrible especially when you start getting the shakes I usually find eating a banana sorts me out cos my sugars are high I don't want to eat anything with sugar in it. X

Lozzybabyw

If so many of us get these symptoms why isn't it being picked up or taken seriously? It's so frustrating. I just heard a few people on here talking Fenugreek to help, so I'm off to the chemist to get some tomorrow. It helps lower blood sugars & cholesterol & will help with many other issues I also have:) just seems I will have to watch the timing of taking it with other medication. Here's hoping:) Anyone tried it before?

Lozzybabyw

I'm not able to test as my doctor says, so I have no choice in trying to balance this. I'm not doing too well with it. I find it's either down to too much sugar or not enough.. Even too much exercise can bring it all on.. I just don't know.. It's awful& it happens far too often for my liking..