Reusing needles

Gonna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am newly diagnosed and have been given conflicting advice about reusing needles - both lancets and needles for the insulin pens. The diabetes nurse said "I have to tell you to change them every time". Everyone else seems to reuse within 24 hours. What should I do? Anne

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Gonna said:
I am newly diagnosed and have been given conflicting advice about reusing needles - both lancets and needles for the insulin pens. The diabetes nurse said "I have to tell you to change them every time". Everyone else seems to reuse within 24 hours. What should I do? Anne

Hello and welcome Anne

I have been told to use the injection needles only once ,as reusing them again blunts them. I do reuse the lancets.

Best wishes RRB

johnipswich

If you are on insulin or other injectables you get free prescriptions so do not reuse anything, lancets or needles.yes you can but why would you? Every packet advises not to so please follow the instructions.

I can understand if you pay for lancets etc to cut the cost.

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do reuse needles, I put a new one on both of my pens each morning so my basal gets 2 uses/needle and my bolus a minimum of 3 (sometimes up to 5 or 6) I take 1 spare needle out with me incase of any issues (I have also on occasion had to swap the needle from my levemir to my rapid before when I messed up and bent the needle!)

I just can't be bothered to spend the time changing them each time or having to dispose of them whilst out and about. I want to carry as little as possible with me.

I know that this is not what the healthcare professionals advise but it works well for me.

Gonna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for your replies RRB and Scottish-jim. They were very helpful. I read the info on the link and I think I'll use the needles once only. It's not worth the risks even if it costs the nhs more and there is enough to worry about just getting used to it all. Thanks. Anne

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I reuse needles but was told not to reuse lancets because there is blood left on them and it can influence the next test.

Gonna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Bent needles? No, I don't think I'll risk it. It wasn't the cost to me that concerned me but to the nhs. My son had trained me well. He was a health care assistant who was very aware of tight nhs budgets. When his GP tried to call an ambulance to take him to hospital with leukaemia (of which he later died) he insisted on walking to the hospital although he could hardly stand. I'm not as brave or maybe stupid as that but I do try to be careful.

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Gonna said:
Thanks for your replies RRB and Scottish-jim. They were very helpful. I read the info on the link and I think I'll use the needles once only. It's not worth the risks even if it costs the nhs more and there is enough to worry about just getting used to it all. Thanks. Anne

take into consideration that the link also contained several adverts for the purchase of needles, no company who sells things like this is going to advocate reuse, it's just not business!

The only reason I bent the needle was because I was careless replacing the cap, nothing to do with injecting!

At the end of the day it's your choice, just do what you feel comfortable with

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told not to leave a needle on the pen as this may cause the seal in the insulin cartridge or pen seal to become contaminated or could allow air into the insulin.
I always use new needles but re-use lancets until they feel blunt.

Angie

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to clarify.
If i was type 1 i should be using a fresh needle yes?
So as type 2 is it equally important for my lancet to be "fresh" every time? (Accuchek mobile)'.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
MCMLXXIII said:
Just to clarify.
If i was type 1 i should be using a fresh needle yes?
So as type 2 is it equally important for my lancet to be "fresh" every time? (Accuchek mobile)'.

Err, yes... it doesn't make any difference if you're type 1 or 2 - the same principal applies.

And to Gonna - this recent thread on the type1 section of the board might interest you

It is SO IMPORTANT to change your needle every time! it is not worth the long-term risk to re-use them!!

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok pickles;-)thanks.
A fresh prick every time. I've got loads in the cupboard anyway.:grin:

BobCornelius

Just to throw my thoughts in;

I am a healthcare professional, I work in Operating Theatres. I do not re-use needles for anything, they are all designed to be single use!!

The reason lancets come with a warning not to share, is that they become blood conatminated on first use, so this could affect readings on later tests with the same lancet! It could also, potentially, lead to infection, as the contaminated lancet festers!

Insulin pen needles are designed for single use, will have been in contact with tissue as you inject and so contaminated. Surgical scalpels go blunt after several uses on skin, needles will do the same! Leaving a needle on a pen could allow air and contaminants to be entrained into the insulin! Repeated use of the same needle could cause it to break off!

I personally don't see that saving the NHS a few pence on the cost of needles compares to having a subsequent infection or problem treated! If things are designed to be single use, you are on your own if you reuse them!

:)

Bob

Gonna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Picklebean, I've been following the other thread. Your photos should be enough to convince anyone to change needles! I'm just appalled that healthcare professionals are not all convinced. I was advised by nurses on the diabetes ward when I was in hospital two weeks ago that 'everyone reuses up to 24 hours and it's quite safe'. Then the nurse at my GP practice said the same. The diabetes nurse who showed me how to use the equipment implied the same but said she had to tell me to use needles only once. There seems to be a huge training gap here! Anne

slimtony

Hi,

One of the main reasons not to reuse needles is contamination (like BobCornelius already said).

A clean needle wound will heal faster and leave less scar tissue. If you reuse needles, you run the risk of increasing the amount of scar tissue that can building up over time and cause problems with insulin absorption.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gonna said:
Thanks Picklebean, I've been following the other thread. Your photos should be enough to convince anyone to change needles! I'm just appalled that healthcare professionals are not all convinced. I was advised by nurses on the diabetes ward when I was in hospital two weeks ago that 'everyone reuses up to 24 hours and it's quite safe'. Then the nurse at my GP practice said the same. The diabetes nurse who showed me how to use the equipment implied the same but said she had to tell me to use needles only once. There seems to be a huge training gap here! Anne

There seems to be a huge training gap / information gap / common sense gap among so many diabetes health care professionals or HCPs in general - it's a bit of pot luck as to whether you get a forward thinking one or not. Needles were traditionally used many times in the past but as with many things, we learn more and adjust common practice accordingly. I think it takes a while for everyone to catch up and adjust their thinking.

I'm sure the needle manufacturers also have a role to play in encouraging single use, but that's just my cynical side talking! :lol: