Help

Beamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys I need some help I'm struggling so much with my weight I'm t2 and I've tried all the diets and things are so expensive any ideas I need to exercise as well and my motivation is zilch

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Slesser1

Hi beamer. Im struggling with weight loss too, but im perservering. Im t2 and on metformin and victosa injections (not sure the victosa is working as meant to lose weight on it). Im low carbing, but dont think ive got it quite,right yet as, although my gl readings have come down really well, ive lost no weight at all in 3 weeks. I use the my fitness pal website, and that helps loads as I can see what im eating. Try it! Do you test? I find testing helps keep me from snacking, cos I think "if I have this, itll send my gl up for my next reading". If you keep in touch on the forum with other diabetics, someone will help motivate you when youre feeling weak willed. X

Beamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your reply I don't test if I'm honest until I have to my reading tend to be 8. Something which I know isn't good it's just so hard but been to the doctors the other day and I need to lose this weight asap

MikeVincent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Beamer,

you say you've tried all the diets and say that things are expensive ... do you mean you've tried the diets plans that sell you food, too?

In any case, from what I can make out, eating low carbs (cutting out potatoes, rice, pasta and bread) will help you get your blood sugars under control. In order to lose weight, you still need to reduce calorie in take or burn more calories.

At the beginning of the year I started a regime to lose weight. I decided that exercising more and eating better was the way to go and it has worked so far - I've lost over a stone. I eat fresh food. Hardly any meat, lots of veg and salad, and fish a couple of times a week.

What is your diet like? What do you eat on a typical day?

Regards,

Mike

Beamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi mike I've tried slimming world and it doesn't work for me I don't fry anything and never had I'm a home cooked food sort of a girl stews vegetables I love chicken not a lover really if red meats but I do like beef I find I struggle at work as I can't afford to buy my lunch everyday and I run out of ideas of what I can take with me. My diet does have lots of carbs in it really I suppose I cud swap potatoes for sweet potatoe

MikeVincent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure what to suggest, other than maybe keeping a log of what you eat - calories and carbs - and the exercise you do.

I do two thinks for lunch - if I make soup the night before, I put some into a 500ml wide-mouthed thermos flask. It is still warm enough to eat the next day. I don't eat bread or anything with it, just the soup. I also like the little tins of fish - mackerel in tomato sauce or there's one with mustard sauce which is yummy. So a tin of fish at about £1 and 2 ryvitas. Keeps me going til tea time.

Hope this helps a little,

Mike

Lucyturner

I'm trying to loose weight as well, I have started walking everywhere now instead of driving or taking the bus and I have found this really helps even if you only do half an hour of exercise a day you will see a difference. Lunch time choices can be easier than you think, just try substituting so instead of bread try rivita or different soups or you could even have cereal every now and then. Just remember your not alone and if you need any support then talk to everyone on here, we can all help each other.

Lucy

Beamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah thankyou Lucy that does help me I forget about rivita etc and I cud do weight watchers soups I'm sat watching secret eaters and I think like they do I hardly eat anything so how can I be big but you do and brush it under the carpet

Lucyturner

You do, my dietition told me it was ok to eat a bit of chocolate but I took it too far and now I'm dealing with the consequences, I'm not massively overweight but I am overweight and need to do something about it. It's even harder when the people you work with eat all kinds of stuff right in front of you and you can't have it. But just taking little steps gets you there. It's a long road but it's worth it and you will feel the benefits. I'm always around if you want to talk. You can find me on Facebook and Twitter as well.

Beamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah thanks Lucy my will power is just terrible and I think I have Anorexia in reverse as I don't see myself as big as I am but I also don't do mirrors. My picture on here I use for inspiration as I was only 18 and I'd give anything to get back there

andybrightman

I advise you that you should try to do now yoga exercise for loosing weight. Dietitian always suggest to them patients that they should obey a diet programme for living healthy life. One thing you should keep in mind that too much oily and non-vage foods are not good for you because these foods contains high calories. So, avoid them and eat diet foods in breakfast.

Davethetoon

Hi
I have t2 and I'm struggling to lose weight as I have arthritis and cannot do too much exercise, I have been given a number of different combinations to control my diabetes & help lose weight these included Byetta injections the weight started to shift on these but my sugar levels did not the other is a tablet for weight loss called Oralstat which stops your body digesting fat and getting you to replace it with your body's own fat reserves as you don't digest the fat it then lowers you blood sugars however it has a price to pay what you put in your mouth has to come out some where if you eat healthy it's not too bad but you can't use these long term though I was on them for a few years one doctor was willing to prescribe the them I changed dr's & he was keep to see how it went but once I had stopped losing weight he stopped them

Beamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I have tried theses tablets myself before but with my job these were no good I've started to go for long walks on a weekend and I'm going to start playing tennis for a couple of hours on a weekend. My mum has arthritis so I understand how difficult it is for you she now walks all over the place she started gently and built it up