Dating

EllieLou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has diabetes ever held you back when it comes to dating?

karla0304

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there. I am happily married to a wonderful guy and I've got 2 amazing step sons.

Before I met my hubby, I had met a guy and mentioned that I was diabetic. I didn't hear from him again. His loss!!

It's not the easiest thing to bring into conversation but its not something that can ever be left alone.

Good luck.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never thought about it ever being an issue! I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago and I have the most supportive boyfriend. He's interested in my BG readings and offers advice from what he's read about that day when it comes to my snacks and things. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I think that there should be no reason for anyone to have an issue with it. So if they do they're not worth it!

karla0304

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I totally agree. My husband is amazing. I have really bad hypos at night and he helps me every night. I'm on the lust for a beta cell transplant and he is supporting me every step of the way. I don't know what I would do without him.

I agree with you though that if someone cares deeply for you then nothing will change that.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Gosh, I diagnosed 27 years and on 2nd hubby.. Got both whilst diabetic, went through boyfriends n partners inbetween no1 and no2. Never honestly gave it a thought that any of them thought any differently of me because of my D. Never came up as problem to any of them..

So in answer.. Nope, no problems dating with type 1 at all.

Mind you, I've always ate and drank the same as anyone else... I always injected in front of everybody, never hidden my diabetes, or made myself any different to non diabetics...

Nowadays with a pump, i wear it on my arm, and my cgm on the other arm. Only ever had one person comment.. Told them it was new versions of probation tagging!!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Diabetes?... never, being fat and ugly?.... Yep :)

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was already with my fiance when diagnosed but all I can say is if they have a problem with it they aren't worth it! If I was dating now I would be upfront about it, my partner is really good he always makes sure he buys the sugar free drinks for me and also makes sure I have lots of cans of fizzy stuff for hypos, he puts up with my frustration from it all when I'm having a bad day from it all X

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
"Hi, I'm Chris,I think its only fair to tell you that I'm a type 2 Diabetic but the good news is I try that little bit harder in everything I do";-)