The only one

Traceylh

Hi, I think I just need a rant
We are 4 weeks into out T1 journey and as my little star is happy and just getting on with it, all I feel is anxious, guilt and the worry is just overwhelming! Will this feeling ever go away? Am I the only one who feels like this?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your not alone in those feelings, think its a common feeling that a lot get especially when kids are concerned. Your probally thinking as well what I have done wrong, could I have done some thing different.

As to if the feelings ever go away, I don't know as not in thae same position. Though I do wonder some times why me, as I am the only one in my family that has diabetes, all the males in the family have been on the large side and still wonder why me.

Very lost 101212

Hi, under the topics is a heading of will I ever cope? Posted originally by me. If you get the chance have a read and then you'll see you really aren't the only one :(
Life throws us these challenging situations, and I don't think a single minute passes by without me thinking about my son and what are his blood sugars right now. I am a control freak.

This however seems to control me more than my son (thankfully). You won't stop feeling what you feel, but will have better coping mechanisms with time, as that's the only way really for us. All the best. X

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
As a daughter, diagnosed 27 years ago. I can tell you that my Mum has never stopped feeling like you...

I'm 50 this year.

My dad when he died 20+ years ago, asked for all donations to go to diabetes research, as it would be the last thing he could do to help me.

Caring, extra concern and extra support for your diabetic child will never go away, but it will change as the years go on.

My parents knew that in those days that blood meters were so expensive for the patient to buy, that there was limited types of medication, car insurance was a nightmare, life assuance, mirtgage protection etc was also a 'no go' in those days. My parents have always given me more financially than my non diabetic brothers, because my life they thought was going to be financially more bother.

Nowadays, there is hugely more support from drugs, hospitals and car insurers are less bother.. So there is a lot better care and outcomes for any person..

We diabetics are all somebodys son or daughter... But the future is bright and far better now than previous.. And it will get better...

Even at 50 when I visit my mum she sees me blood test and asks what my levels are! I dont think that nearing 80 years old that she actually knows what they should be.. But she has never been able to stop asking..it used to annoy me, but now I realise more fully just how much being a diabetic parent affects the parents as well.

Of course, we didnt have the internet when I was diagnosed, so there wasnt any support for my parents at all... It must have been very hard for them.