Type 1 Pump Therapy... Thoughts etc

MattyK

Hi my name is Matt, I'm 33 and married with a little daughter. I've been type 1 since I was 15.

I moved recently to begin a new job but had been living in Leicester, I had asked countless times if I could have a pump, I was told that I couldn't with reasons ranging from 'your control is too good' or 'you need to get your control fine tuned'.

When I moved to Swindon, I was put straight on the list and now have a pump. I have had it since November 2012.

I really like the pump and it has been fantastic from the very start. I completed basal rate confirmation testing yesterday and found a few lows occurred that I can hopefully iron out.
I've been told it may take a short time to get it tuned fully.

I would like to know how other people are getting on with a pump as I am the only person I know with a pump, friends have said they don't like the idea so would like some ideas if anyone else is having any similar experiences to me?

Any comments / questions welcome, thanks for reading

Matt

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Havnt got a pump yet, but have been approved for 1 so still waiting. I was un decided at first but after researching I can't wait to get it. Once your basal issues are sorted u can set your bolus ratios. most who have had one wouldn't go back on mdi

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

MattyK

Cheers guys, I must say it is the best thing I've done and would recommend to anyone. Just takes a sort time to set basal amounts in the time blocks.
I hope you two get on well with them too

ivinghoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
professional football
I`m in the same situation as Brett. I`ve been T1 since 1977 ish and am now waiting for the DSN to contact me to start the training etc.
I have absolutely no doubts about wearing the pump and indeed a cgm if I get the chance. The nature of my job with its unpredictable work load from day to day and even morning to afternoon will make tuning my basal tuning a much more controlable task.
I will hopefully be able to get on top of the wide swings in sugar levels with the help of the cgm if I am able to get one on NHS if possible, if not I will almost certainly self fund one to make the transition as smooth as posible.

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there

My son has been on his pump now for 6 months and has taken to it like a duck to water. Still a lot of tweaking to do due to his age and **** hormones. He was put on it not cos his control was not good but for a better lifestyle not having to inject 6-7 times a day. Even his performance on the football pitch has much improved as he wears his pump in a spiebelt and rarely takes it off during sport.

As was said in an earlier reply once you have a pump you do not want to go back to injecting.

Take care x

MattyK

Hi Ivinghoe,

I agree, my job can be really unpredictable too and I've found it really helpful having a pump.
I would make sure that if you self fund, the NHS will fund the insulin etc as I've heard some NHS trusts will not as they have no control over the pump. I live in Wiltshire and they have said they'd fund the insulin and needles if people wanted to self fund.
I've been lucky and got it on the NHS, it's worth checking though!

MattyK

Hi Stoney,
I hope your son continues to get on well with his pump, I got one for much the same reason. I also think it's the best thing I've done for my diabetes and would never go back now!
It sounds like your son has a good attitude to diabetes which also helps massively, good on him!

duranie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Winter!
Got my pump last Wednesday, apart from yesterday when the cannula kept kinking (I had to change sites 3 times), I thinks it's amazing. I've woken up with previously unknown levels - 6.3 today, whereas I was waking up 14+ nearly every day.

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been on my pump since November 2012 too - it's the best thing I've ever done! I even told my consultant that I'd certainly harm him if he ever tried to take it off me. It is quite a bit of hard work, more so than MDI I think, but the extra work is certainly worth it.

If you get the chance - go for it!!! :D :thumbup:

MattyK

I don't think I could go back to MDI now, it's far better using the pump. I find that especially for work it's a godsend!
If anyone is thinking about it, do it and ill bet you won't go back!

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, ive asked my gp about going on the pump and hes refering me to the hospital to talk it through, im hoping they give me the go ahead as ive heard nothing but great things bout it, im type one diabetic was diagnosed on march 25th 2000.

Lyndesay

I have been on the pump now for 3 months and would certainly never change it! Type 1 Diabetic for 27 years, now 38 and have had poor control since nearly early diagnosis. It does take time and alot of adjusting is involved initially but I knew this would happen. I have had more hypos since starting but I know this will be rectified in due course. I has given me a new lease of life and alot more freedom on a day to day basis. Nobody said it would be easy but it is certainly worth it ;-)

Nickysmith29

Hi there ive been on the pump just over a year now, I was diagnosed 12 years ago and had very poor control but the pump allows you so much freedom and better control. Although you have to be prepared to work hard with it, its definitely not a quick fix you have to test regular throughout the day and count your carbs but if your willing to put the effort in then its great :smile: