Anesthetic

stuartclose

last thursday I had major surgery at Frenchay Hospital, being back home i cannot get my bs' back under control on my own insulin regime, any thoughts

pauline :D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
stuartclose said:
last thursday I had major surgery at Frenchay Hospital, being back home i cannot get my bs' back under control on my own insulin regime, any thoughts

pauline :D

Hello Pauline

I hope you are making a good rcovery regarding the op and you're not in too much pain or discomfort. I have only have one operation and I was put on a sliding scale at the hospital because my BS were about 15, even though I hadn't eaten anything for days. But after a week or so with eating small amounts and movement, I had to watch out for hypo's, so a bit up and down. If they are high, then you would need to start off with 2 extra units at mealtimes and then gradually, with lots of blood tests, add a liile more each time. If its on the low side, then less insulin. Did they give you any advice when you were discharged ? It may take a few weeks to get back to 'normal'

Take care with best wishes RRB

stuartclose

Hi Robin

thanks for your reply. on the morning of my op I did a bs check before I went in and it was 6.0, since then I have been in double figures, so will start increasing slowly.

the op was for a trapped nerve in my neck caused by a disc protruding out, they went in through the front, moved my windpipe and bits aside and did all through this. am in no pain, just discomfort with the large dressing on my neck, stitches out today.

pauline

Elc1112

Hi Pauline,

I had an operation last year and it took a good few days for my blood sugars to settle. The surgeon told me that it's not unusual - the surgery puts a lot of stress on your body, the anaesthetic affects you in many ways, your insulin regime may well have changed during (and in the run up to) your operation, you'll likely be less active than normal during recovery etc.

Just make sure you monitor regularly and have plenty of stuff in the house in case you have hypos. It took almost a week for my levels to stabilise. They ran a little higher than normal for a few weeks after that as I wasn't exercising.

Hope the recovery is going well!

Take care,
Em