Perfect Low Carb Bread Recipe!!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been experimenting with low carb bread recipes and think I've finally created something that actually tastes like bread and is low carb! My old recipes that I've posted on here contained almond flour, but I think this gave them a funny taste. I've substituted this for soy flour, which has more carbs, but tastes fine.

I use cups as it's quicker than weighing out the ingredients. If you've got a measuring jug then a cup is 235 ml. I used the "wholewheat" setting on my breadmaker.

1.5 cups wheat gluten (36g carbs)
1.5 cups soy flour (19g carbs)
1 cup ground linseed (2 g carbs)
0.5 cups wheat bran (8g carbs)
0.5 cups mixed seeds (sunflower, pumpkin etc.) (8g carbs)
1.5 cups water
7g sachet fast action yeast
salt, to taste (0.5-1 tsp I'd guess)
1 tsp sugar (gets used up by the yeast)
glug of olive oil

By my estimation, that gives 73g in the whole loaf. My breadmaker's pan is 20cm long, so a 1cm slice has 3.7g carbs in it. You could omit the mixed seeds to make it even lower carb. All of that wheat gluten is needed to give it the texture, I've posted recipes before with less wheat gluten in it, but 1.5 cups is the magic number to give it a proper bread-like texture.

I've you've got a breadmaker and miss bread since LCing, then please try it as it tastes just like normal bread similar to Burgen's soy and linseed bread (except Burgen's has flour in it). I now have sandwiches for my lunch again!!!! :D

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I expect so. I don't think I could be bothered though!!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Forgot to put olive oil in the recipe. Add q good glugs.

iHs

SamJB said:
I've been experimenting with low carb bread recipes and think I've finally created something that actually tastes like bread and is low carb! My old recipes that I've posted on here contained almond flour, but I think this gave them a funny taste. I've substituted this for soy flour, which has more carbs, but tastes fine.

I use cups as it's quicker than weighing out the ingredients. If you've got a measuring jug then a cup is 235 ml. I used the "wholewheat" setting on my breadmaker.

1.5 cups wheat gluten (36g carbs)
1.5 cups soy flour (19g carbs)
1 cup ground linseed (2 g carbs)
0.5 cups wheat bran (8g carbs)
0.5 cups mixed seeds (sunflower, pumpkin etc.) (8g carbs)
1.5 cups water
7g sachet fast action yeast
salt, to taste (0.5-1 tsp I'd guess)
1 tsp sugar (gets used up by the yeast)
glug of olive oil

By my estimation, that gives 73g in the whole loaf. My breadmaker's pan is 20cm long, so a 1cm slice has 3.7g carbs in it. You could omit the mixed seeds to make it even lower carb. All of that wheat gluten is needed to give it the texture, I've posted recipes before with less wheat gluten in it, but 1.5 cups is the magic number to give it a proper bread-like texture.

I've you've got a breadmaker and miss bread since LCing, then please try it as it tastes just like normal bread similar to Burgen's soy and linseed bread (except Burgen's has flour in it). I now have sandwiches for my lunch again!!!! :D

Hi Sam

I too am going to have a go and baking this bread mix in my breadmaker.

can I ask you what type of 'cups' you are using to measure the ingredients. I have some American 'cup measures' in my cupboard. Is it these that you are also using or are you using normal household cups or mugs?

Also, where do you buy the ground linseed and wheat bran? Am wondering if the ground linseed can be bought in Tescos or Sainsburys?

Can you recommend where to buy this stuff cheaply besides the wheat gluten?

Thanks

Jo123

Good question IHs I was wondering about the cups!!

Definitely seen wheat bran in Tescos, near the other breakfast cereals, I think the ground linseed is there as well in the wholefood ingredient sections.

I must get myself together and buy the ingredients, would love to do have a cheese and onion sarnie! Also a bread and butter pudding, with unsweetened soy milk, splenda and about 10 raisons, as a real treat, used to love that :D

iHs

May be I shouldn't say this but I do have a feeling that by eating gluten free flours causes far less weight gain than eating normal wheat based breads. I always wondered why people with coeliac disease seemed to able to eat loads of cakes etc all made with gluten free flours and yet were able to remain fairly slim and ok with their weight.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use 235ml. I think that's an American cup, I use a measuring jug to measure the ingredients. I get the ingredients from Holland and Barrett. The wheat bran and soy flour is cheap at a few quid, but the ground flax seed is a bit more expensive at about a fiver.

VickiT11979

I buy whole flaxseeds as they're cheaper, then whizz them in a cheap food processor I got from Lidl a few months ago to grind them. Ground flaxseeds don't keep very long either before they go rancid.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found the milled flaxseed will keep provided it's stored in a vacuum pack or container.

@myroomsadisco

pollybostik

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am going to give this bread recipe a try. Made a cauliflower bread yesterday yuk its on the bird table now and I am certain I saw a blackbird spit it out too :lol:

Reactions: 2 people

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
pollybostik said:
I am going to give this bread recipe a try. Made a cauliflower bread yesterday yuk its on the bird table now and I am certain I saw a blackbird spit it out too :lol:
Brilliant:lol::lol:

@myroomsadisco

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
Thanks for the recipe. This is great. Flax bread is okay with butter on, but it tastes awful for cheese on toast. I'm going to try this one next :)

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I might give that a try.

Fyi, I generally find i can leave the sugar out of bread recipes if making by hand, it just needs to prove for a lot longer, it still rises. Bread machines do need the sugar as the yeast does not have the time to get the sugars from the flours in the short times used by machines. I gave up with the bread machine ages ago, by hand is far more therapeutic (i tend to think of my bosses neck while kneading).

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It would be interesting to get some feedback on this. I think its great but no-one else has said so, so it might be rubbish!