Just found out I'm diabetic

bigdave

Found out tonight I'm diabetic, and I'm so angry. I had suspected for a long time, but whenever I suggested the possibility to my GP whilst seeking treatment for related symptoms such as numbness and nerve pain in my feet, depression and anxiety, extreme lethargy, loss of libido etc, I was basically laughed at. Having spent the evening trawling the net for information, I have found out that the reason my life has been such a nightmare for the last three years is down to diabetes and I am frankly livid.

I'm 44 and I feel like my life is over.

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, that feeling hits numerous people when you are diagnosed and you may feel isolated, left with the feeling theres no support or answers, story sounds very simular to mine, it was ages before I was confirmed I was diabetic and it was only after being sent to see a doctor again from work as I was in a terible state.

Daisy will be along shortly to give you some useful information.

The forum is full of information and help, you may need to let it sink in for a couple of days as its a big illness to be hit with. I have been type 2 since 2000 and still learning.

There will be no end of questions you may want to ask and this forum is a good place to ask them.

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
Hello Dave. Your symptoms could indicate diabetes, but you really need a blood test to be sure. If your GP is not being helpful, I think some pharmacies (Lloyds?) offer a free blood glucose test: if you get a high reading, that will be strong evidence to take to your doctor. I hesitate to suggest buying a meter until you're sure.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey bigdave.

I've been there man, really.
But guess what?
I'm back!
And it feels great. I'm taking this thing by the preverbial balls and getting good results.
It can be done, but you need to take stock, make yourself some reasonable goals , see a doctor to get some confirmations of exactly whats going on ( we're all different with the same thing if that makes sense) and if you need any inspiration we're all here 247;)

Lone Ranger

Bigdave.I was diagnosed in January , relatives were continually pleading with me to have a test during the previous few months, I finally had diabetes test as a walk in at a Lloyds Pharmacy ( found nearest one through google but other local pharmacies do them look in window display) my first reading was 24.5 I was told to fast for 10 hrs and come back it was still high 15.3 so the pharmacist gave me a referral letter and told me to go to a Dr or A&E. since then I the practice i registered with have started me on Metformin but have also made sure I recived appt for eye test at diabetes clinic, appt with diabetes nurse and been told i should attend a DESMOND course ( 1 day) at one of the local 3 Centres in my borough I am also being referred to dietician.

I took a friend with me for the test for moral support.

Chin up

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Dave and welcome to the forum :)

We are all here to help you get used to being diabetic and help you with what you need to do. Here is the information we give to new members, mentioned by pav, and I hope you will find it useful. Ask all the questions you need to and someone will be able to answer you.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

bigdave

Thanks for the replies and advice, I've found this site very useful. It has hit me like a brick and is going to mean some major changes to my lifestyle. I had been going on weekend drinking benders to relieve the anxiety and bouts of depression that had been bothering me, but now I know the root of this hopefully I can stop and start living more healthily.

Tarwaddilo

Hi, I also have been treated for depression over the last 3 years. I found out I was diabetic last week and I'm waiting for my nurses appointment. So my questions are - has it been diabetes all along? I wake in the morning but can't fully wake? My heart pounds? I thought it was my meds but I'm only on 5mg of citalopram. Very frustrated. Your really not alone.

cherylle

Iv been on citalpram on and off and the drug can give you horrible side effects in the begining am takeing 20 mg.In august last year i was down and swore my tablets were not working.I felt ****** for months then in Jan 1213 i was told i was type2 i felt relieved but now am ok just comeimg to terms with a diffrent lifestyle.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You've had a lot of useful posts so far. Most pharmacies now do a walk-in finger-prick blood test. If it's very high then it doesn't matter too much when it's measured. If it's only slightly elevated then a fasting test may be recommended before doing the finger-prick test. If you see the doc later, he should do a GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) or an HBa1C. He may do neither, just assume you are a type 2 and give you diet advice. Normally you would then have an HBa1C test after 3 months to have a good measure of your average sugar. There is a lot of diet advice on this forum. Basically keep the carbs down, low-GI and keep portion sizes sensible. If you are overweight then set a target weight reduction. Good luck and come back with questions.

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its also worth looking at the meter manufactures web sites to see which meter you like, and give them a ring as they normally give you one free or fill in their on line free request forms.