Cheating!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok so my cravings have gotten to me! This is the first time I've touched chocolate covered raisins since I was diagnosed. For my pre-bed snack tonight I'm having some. I weighed it out so it's only 20g carbs.

So someone hit me with it, why is this a bad idea? Because I'm sure it must be!

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not a bad idea at all.... If it's the first time you've given in to the craving then you bloomin' well deserve some chocolate covered raisins!!

There's nothing wrong with treating yourself every now and then. In fact I believe it does you far more good than it'll ever do harm! as long as you don't do it all the time then go for it.... And ENJOY!!!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's only been 3.5 weeks, not that impressive! But it was mega nice to have them, shame they didnt last long enough though!

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha... 3.5 weeks is still good. Don't be too hard on yourself - it's early days! :D

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha! Chocolate itself isn't really my craving, it's just chocolate raisins! Haribo is my real weakness but ive stuck to it and not touched them unless I've been low. Makes a low so much more enjoyable haha

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Sigh, I'm gutted I don't get hypos I have some jelly beans in the cupboard and would dearly love a couple :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never been below 3.5, but as I was running high for SO long anything under 5 gives me the shakes. 3 haribo does the trick though :D

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry! I bought a huuuuuge box from Costco 2 days before diagnosis. So now I've got 1.5kg to eat. At my current rate I might be finished them by the time I'm 50!

xorsyst

How much they affect you will depend on when you eat them.

If you are stable, haven't eaten for a while, and pig out, then they will cause a bit of a spike (although, not too bad compared to Haribo!)

If you have a small portion as a desert after a low-gi meal, then they'll not make much of an impact to the overall GI, so just make sure you account for the carbs in your injection.

Basically, in moderation is the key.