A new needle every injection

xorsyst

I've been thinking about needle reuse, and I've got a question for those people who use a new needle for every injection: Do you carry your pen with a fresh needle already attached when you go out? Or do you take it with no needle (as recommended), carry a needle, and then carry round a used needle afterwards? What about if you are out all day and need more than one injection?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I carry 4 or 5 needles with me when I go out. They're small and got in my handbag. Once Ive used a needle I remove it clip off the needle bit. I then keep it with me until I get home and can put it in my sharps bin.

On desk at work I have a mini sharps bin. I also keep a stash of needles in my desk drawer which is locked when I leave

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The NovoPen carry case have a zipped pocket inside and this is where I store new and old needles until I get back home, I do replace the needle after every use so my pen is read to use the next time.

xorsyst

noblehead said:
The NovoPens have a zipped pocket inside the case and this is where I store new and old needles until I get back home, I do replace the needle after every use so my pen is read to use the next time.

Ah - so you carry your pen around in the case it came with? (I think I might have that in the back of a cupboard somewhere).

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
xorsyst said:
noblehead said:
The NovoPens have a zipped pocket inside the case and this is where I store new and old needles until I get back home, I do replace the needle after every use so my pen is read to use the next time.

Ah - so you carry your pen around in the case it came with? (I think I might have that in the back of a cupboard somewhere).

I do xorsyst, I just edited my post to make that clearer, the carry case has space for 2 pens so I can carry my lantus pen too if I want.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I NEVER go anywhere without a bag.... Yes I am female so possibly different for men but I always have my insulins with me and some spare needles. I keep the rubbish in my bag until Im home. Same goes for blood monitor.

I feel safer having it with me in case of delays or changed plans or whatever. It's become automatic now - never leave the house without my diabetic stuff.

xorsyst

picklebean said:
I NEVER go anywhere without a bag.... Yes I am female so possibly different for men but I always have my insulins with me and some spare needles. I keep the rubbish in my bag until Im home. Same goes for blood monitor.

I feel safer having it with me in case of delays or changed plans or whatever. It's become automatic now - never leave the house without my diabetic stuff.

I always carry my pen when I'm out the house, but on its own with the needle attached. It fits easily into a pocket alongside my mobile. I only carry the meter out if I'm staying the night somewhere or driving, and that's a new thing.

My biggest concern right now is that carrying spare needles and used bits requires more than can fit in a pocket - are there any other men here who have a solution?

GlazedDoughnuts

I just carry Insulin with ONE needle attached if I don't want to carry a bag of goodies...Don't really recommend anyone else does that as it goes against GP/NHS Advice...

So far I've had no issues :angel:

Compact insulin pens would be nice, but I suppose its cost -v- my own selfish desire.

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I carry a pen with me and a few needles in my bag incase I stay out or work late.

RichardJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I carry mine with spare needles in the wallet it came with.
My nurse said that by the third use your needle starts to look like a shepards crook, i haven't used a needle more than once since.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I use a test strip container for used needles when I'm out. They are strong and easy to carry around and you can get a few in there safely.