Sitagliptin

Sabrena

Hi all

I was diagnosed in January and started on metformin 1g once a day today my nurse has started me on stigagliptin and I wondered if anyone else was on this as I was told its a relatively new medication and I was wanting to know what people thought of it ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

blackcat79

Re: Stigagliptin

Hi yes ive been on it for a month now plus metformin
n glimepiride. So for it hasnt reallyy do thst much but BS have come down from 15-24 to 11-16 but which drug is working the most i dont no lol.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi. I've been on Sitagliptin for 2 years now. It did help reduce sugar spikes for the first year but as my pancreas is not in a good state it doesn't help me much now. The drug works by suppressing an enzyme that in turn switches insulin production off after a meal. It is only a few years old as a drug. It's a good drug as it only works when blood sugar is high so can't cause a hypo.

Sabrena

Thanks for the help start the new dose tomorrow metformin only reduced my bs from twenties down to 15-18 and I suffered side effects that's why they didn't want to increase it anymore . So I'm hoping this works .

merrymax69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

If your 'side effects' are wind or loose stools ask for modified release metformin, made huge difference for me as an IBS sufferer!!

Sabrena

Hi merrymax69

I was on the mr metformin yes side affects were as you described but also had excruciating pain with it and it was dropping my blood pressure so always felt faint they reduced me to 500 mr for a week but my bs rose upto there twenties again and as soon as I started 1000 again my symptoms returned. I'm hoping this new medication helps and I don't get the side effects start my dose today so hopefully I should see the benefits soon.

Susiebabs

Sabrina, I've been on one Sitagliptin in the morning for about two years without any noticeable side effects. Bloods are pretty good too on low carb so after my next set if tests plan to review all medication with my doc.

Sabrena

Hi susiebabs

That sounds really promising and sounds like your doing really well too well done. I just need to get a hold of it now only newly diagnosed so got plenty to learn yet. Thanks for the help x