SNOW IN SPRING ...

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's horrible! This time last year we were having a surprise sunny and warm spell!

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Yes! And that was our summer - short burst of warm weather in March! Then we were deluged with rain for the rest of the year.

I'm not asking for much. I just want a bright WARMISH Spring, followed by a WARMER summer with a nice cooling breeze and a light rain shower every now and then to keep the atmosphere clear. :roll:

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some say that this east wind today is not healthy, how come.

The problem I am having in our house is that my family do not know how to shut doors.

Gracek, make sure you keep warm, I know you will.

Best check our elderly neighbours just in case.

Roy. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
izzzi said:
The problem I am having in our house is that my family do not know how to shut doors.

Do you think it is just in your house??? I had to fit door closers and doorstops on all internal doors to defend them against the gale blowing through.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't shut the doors in my house. But that's because I fitted new door handles but my hands are so small they don't fit around the knobs and I can't open them :S

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Snow at this time of year is not that unusual, I remember it snowing at Easter when I was a kid, I was camping with the Scouts and we woke up to 3 or 4 inches of snow!!

It was an early Easter just like this year, the scout master made us all curried porridge for breakfast - nicer than it sounds as I recall :lol:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I've lived on my own for 20 years now and one of the things I found hard to get used to was not having to yell at anyone to 'shut that b****y door!" I don't know what it is about kids that makes them open doors but not close them, take things out of cupboards but not put them back, eat meals but never take their plates back to the kitchen - and also what makes them ignore their parents rantings about it.

I'd never have got away with leaving mess behind me when I was a kid. In fact, it was we kids who did ALL the housework because our Mum had to work and Dad was disabled. I used to ask my sons to tidy their rooms etc., my God if they'd been asked to strip the beds, remake them, take the sheets to the laundry ... they'd have reported me to Childline!

I had a busy and productive and useful childhood and to be honest ... I'm glad of the experience. :)

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Goodness Grace it is true. Our 26 year old son will nicely tell me off for not shutting this lap top down properly,yet he can not shut that b***y door, not to mention the plates. Our other son does close doors and take is plate to the kitchen.

We did have good memories. When I was a boy with 3 sisters, one of my jobs was to fill the metal bath with warm water, after my sisters had their wash etc; it was my turn then I had to empty the bath.
galvanized-tub-thumb13263928.jpg
This cold weather reminds me of those cold baths and the drafts from the back door. Roy :)

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
izzzi said:
Goodness Grace it is true. Our 26 year old son will nicely tell me off for not shutting this lap top down properly,yet he can not shut that b***y door, not to mention the plates. Our other son does close doors and take is plate to the kitchen.

We did have good memories. When I was a boy with 3 sisters, one of my jobs was to fill the metal bath with warm water, after my sisters had their wash etc; it was my turn then I had to empty the bath.
galvanized-tub-thumb13263928.jpg
This cold weather reminds me of those cold baths and the drafts from the back door. Roy :)

Roy ... just take a deep breath, be firm and do them a favour ... give him an ultimatum ... clean up, do a bit or ... or sod off!

I had one relatively tidy son, and one terribly messy son. To be honest, the tidy one has caused more heartache because a lot of what he did was pretence and he rebelled in other ways more heartbreaking. The messy sod ... well at least he was honest. That's all I can say. But there's only so much honesty a parent can take too.

If I had my time again I'd beat them both with a stick and to hell with PC!

Roy I remember those tin baths. My mother used to boil water in a big boiler ALL day long so we could bathe on Saturday night. It had to be filled MANUALLY by carrying buckets of hot water from boiler to bath and it had to be emptied the same bloody way.

I'm not an advocate of going back in time but my kids don't know such hardship and they don't know such usefulness either. I'm glad they didn't have to go through a childhood like mine, but in some ways I can't help but feel they're so bloody spoiled that they've missed out on some lessons in life. I appreciated what my Mother and Father struggled to give me. My kids appreciate nothing I did for them because my efforts took place in the workplace where I took abuse from managers so my kids could have a decent standard of living and enjoy a 'childhood'.

I worked in some dives throughout my life to put bread on the table and keep the roof over our heads. Was it recognised or appreciated by husband or kids?

Nope. It was taken for granted and complaints were regarded as a bit of a joke ... until the divorce papers dropped through the letterbox.

I'd have worked myself to death for my husband and kids, in fact I nearly did, but when it's not appreciated and taken for granted and even ridiculed well .... Nah! I preferred to walk out and leave them to it.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Good for you, Grace! I hope you're really enjoying life solo now - there's a lot to be said for it :D .

How much snow do you have today? So far we have about 4 inches, and it's still snowing steadily - those fine flakes that really lie. Hardly anyone has been past, not even a snowplough - they must all be off doing the main roads. The milkman hasn't been, but I always have a couple in the freezer so nothing to complain of.

I tried to get to the dentist yesterday lunch-time and the car skidded round on our big hill and slid sideways, blocking the road at almost the narrowest point! Fortunately a nice young farmer, coming up behind me, was able to fix a tow-rope and pull me round until I was facing downhill to go back home. Good neighbours! So no dentist - and the car is undamaged. :D I just feel like an idiot :oops: :roll:

If the cat wakes me up tomorrow at 4am, demanding food, I might just be eating cat stew! or at least have a new pair of gloves :lol: :lol:

Viv 8)

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I woke up at 2am this morning and that was it. Couldn't get back to sleep until about 5am. So I read my book, had a cuppa and then nodded off until 9am.

Looking out of my window the snow is pretty much as it was yesterday, about 2 inches deep but it's stopped snowing and it doesn't really feel all that cold either.

But I notice that the sky is very white which usually means there's more to come. And I REALLY don't want it. I want warm, dry weather now with just a sprinkling of rain now and then, thanks.

2012 felt like one looooooooooooong winter and we're almost 3 months into 2013 and it's STILL winter. I don't feel like I've had any sunshine or warmth for ages and it's beginning to get me down now. :(

Sharon68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We've had about 20cm here with drifts upto a meter although a bit higher up the hills they are a couple of meters. Seem to be spending most of my time towel drying the dogs who think its great to leap about the garden chasing the birds! :crazy:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Lots of rain last night.but woke up to snow this morning :)

I said to DD lets go out for a lovely long walk and you can ask a friend to come. So thats what we did, went into a wooded area, a bit muddy in places and climbed over a couple of fallen trees, we saw a tent in the woods, but stayed away, it was snowing all the time until we got back home and it was great fun, I loved being out and about with my DD. We were out for 1 1/2 hours and throughly enjoyed every minute, then a well earned cuppa when we got back home :thumbup: :D
Best wishes RRB

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
GetInline.aspx

The weathermen say the temperature is going to drop to extreme levels tonight.And everyone should check on the elderly and senile.
Are you all OK??? That's my job done, Roy, :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Yorksman said:
Cricket - Derbyshire v Lancashire, June 1975, Snow Stopped Play.
http://www.lccc.co.uk/news/this-day-in- ... -play/2894

I remember that!

Also it snowed in Birmingham on July 1st the same year. I know - I got snowed on! :lol:

It's snowing again here as I type. I don't mind it being cold, if only it would stay dry and the roads were cleared so I could get out. Mind you, anything that stops me shopping . . . :crazy: .

Viv 8)