Have you done the DAFNE/DESMOND courses or anything similar?

Have you done the DAFNE/DESMOND courses or anything similar?

• Yes

Votes: 56 54.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 45.6%

• Total voters

jperry

Re: Have you done the DAFNE/DESMOND courses or anything simi

I have just finished the IDAC (insulin dose adjustment course) in North Herts and it was brilliant. My control was okay but is already much tighter, I have lost weight and feel in control for the first time ever and I have been type 1 for 22 years.

squeeze321

Dislikes
Hypos

I completed the DAFNE course in Oct 2011 and I found it very helpful especially sick day rules.

However, what has been a real life saver for me was counting carbs, this has really enabled me to achieve much better control especially when I eat bread and pasta. Since DAFNE I have much tighter control in blood sugar levels and a drop in HbA1C from 16 to 7.9 and I want it much lower than that too! :wink:

One thing I was not impressed with was that the DAFNE course that I was on, did not include basel and bolus testing techniques which are also vital for good control.

colacard

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I don't think we have these courses in my area, must check with the DN at next clinic. What is discussed at them, diet exercises?

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

jperry

Our course was mainly focussed on carb counting and making sure we take exactly the right amount of insulin to match the food. I was clearly taking too much! The section on exercise was good. We also met a pump user, learnt about alcohol and I agree that the sick day rules were very useful!

Gregoir

I am new to this forum and went on to a pump yesterday as I have dificulty with swings in my blood sugar. Getting multiple hypos when exercising.
I went on the Chesterfield based ASPIRE course a few years ago. Gave me lots of confidence to estimate carbs and adjust my insulin.
But the end result is still no better than before. My H1Bac thngy has come down a bit.

glenmoray

The DAFNE course is one of the best courses out. I too have been a Type 1 diabetic since 1977. I moved house in the 80s and was made to go to the doctors diabetic clinic instead of a hospital clinic. For the last 22 years I have received substandard care. Last October I developed a foot infection and was referred by the doctors diabetic clinic to the diabetic foot clinic. I met the diabetic consultant there and when I told him about the lack of care I was getting he immediately referred me to his clinic. Since then I've attended the DAFNE course and lost nearly 3 stone in weight. I also found out that my doctors have been overdosing me by 90 units a day on nova rapid. Because of this I was eating more and gaining weight. Anyone who has not yet attended yet the DAFNE course sign up to one. It's a week long and will teach you loads about the foods you can eat which is now virtually anything and how to adjust your insulin intake when you do eat. You also have a chance to talk to a diabetic consultant.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

campervan

I did a DESMOND course and to be honest I did find it helpful but only about the portion control and was astounded to see just how small the portions were that I should be eating and actually felt, what was the point in eating at all! It was good to be in a room filled with people who were all suffering from diabetes though and the camaradere that was felt. Overall I did enjoy it as I said earlier although we all know why we have diabetes type 2 and that it's due to lifestyle but because the things we love are so bad for us it's difficult not to eat them :(
Joy

misslotty1

I finished Dafne Friday. It was amazing! i highly recommend it. My life now makes more sense. I would encourage everyone to go on it x

Sent from my GT-I5500 using DCUK Forum mobile app

shanet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

can you tell me what the desmond course is all about please as i havnt been on one ? someone told me it promoted wholegrains which were not in keeping with other posts on here refering to different type of diet . should i go and look to get on the course ? how long is it please ?

Indigo

Hi there

What course would be best for someone like me. Diagnosed as Diabetic 6 months ago and they have just blanketly said T2 even though there was none of the usual signs as such like being really overweight (was overweight by a few pounds but you would not have noticed), also am relatively young at 35. Anyway now on insulin (basal/bolus) so any advice as to the best course for me?

Thanks

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
having to take medication
I've done the Desmond course and to be honest it was a waste of time (but that was for me someone else may get useful information out of it) I sort of lost all hope of it being useful after I told the women running it that I was on a LCHF diet and self tested at which point she became rather insistant that I should be eating eating carbs as carbs are essential, after I asked her in that case what was the RDA (recommended daily allowance) of carbs she went rather quiet and quickly changed the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people