Fed up

linsay

Hi. I am type 1 have been for 26 years. On humalog,levimir and metformin. Lately the weight has been creeping on. I have a fair bit to loose now. I am going to dietician at the hospital every 2 weeks. Im eating healthily and cut my portion sizes. I have also taken up walking and going about 4miles a day and making sure i get the heart rate up. I have been doing this properly since beginning of feb. I have not lost a pound. I have not put on either but im so fed up with it now. Can anyone please give me any advice on how to shift this weight.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello linsay .

Have moved your post into here for you .
This is to get you more support, help and replies.

Anna.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
No worrries linsay. :)
Even I get lost here sometimes too .

Anna.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cardio is the only way i can and do lose weight.
If you have a rate monitor aim for 150 this is the optimum for calorie burn.
Of course I'm presuming you're able to exercise?
I do 15 mins on the cross trainer daily, i can vary the intensity and its low impact on the knees ( which is why i don't jog).
I take African mango by personal choice which i find also helps.
And of course water (and green tea) all the way:)

grum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Noise, Clutter, Shopping, Gardening.
Hi Lindsay, Keep up the walking, try not to get fed up when your weight isn't changing as quickly as you would wish. You know they say that all things come to those who wait. If you are walking on your own can you walk with a friend, join group walks, make it a little more interesting (rather than something that is to help you lose weight) and then when you aren't thinking about it but having fun more than likely you will see changes.
Wish you luck
Grum

linsay

Yeah i know but its so frustrating. I have roped my friend into walking with me. I have walked briskly the best part of 30 miles this wk. Still cutting portion sizes and eating healthily. Went to hosp yest and iv lost 0.2 of a kg!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Walking with a friend always helps! Then you HAVE to go because they're waiting for you! I walk my dog every day (obviously) so that gets me out of the house, but even then I drag friends along at the weekends etc

I'm trying to maintain my weight after starting insulin, so I can't really relate. But it sounds like you're trying hard and going about it the right way. Chin up and keep going, the weight will come off slow and steadily which is the best type of weightloss as it is maintainable. If it drops off quickly you're more likely to put it all back on again!

Fearghal

Try to differentiate between weight and fitness..if you've only started doing more strenuous exercise, you may not be getting lighter because at the same time as loosing fat you may be building some lean muscle :)..judge your diet and exercise on how you feel as opposed to what the scales say

shanet

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
can you explain cardio to me please as i need to loose a lot of weight too and im also having problems shifting it .

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Simply put its getting the heart rate up do the body starts to burn fat. Cardiovascular exercise.
Walking, gym, swimming or the nice stuff if you're in a relationship all gets the heart going :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Ahhhh that's why I'm so fat....it's the wife's fault, I'll be sure to tell her :)

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hia Linsay, the way I lost weight and kept it off is by reducing my carbs. I never quite realised how much I was eating I don't think but now I limit myself to about 120g max per day. My evening meal still has new potatoes etc, but just restricted amounts. By cutting down on the carbs my insulin reduced and over a period time I lost 2 and a half stone and now I'm down to 9 and half and have stayed that way for the last 12 months. I also drank wine (too much) regularly which was bad for me on more than one front, so I've cut down drastically only having the occasional glass on a Saturday or if we're out for a meal. I think this helped me to lose weight too.
I have a nifty little device called a fitbit which is a fancy pedometer and i make sure I walk at least 8000 steps a day. My husband has one too and we go against each to see who wins each week. This is nowhere near the walking you're doing though so keep that up. Maybe it's worth having a re-think about carbs? Good luck and let us know how you get on. :thumbup:

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Amazon sell it the cheapest. It links up to your computer so you can download everything and an app/website called Myfitnesspal if you really want to get into it (my husband does as he is trying to lose weight). I love my Fitbit - tells me stairs I've climbed as well as miles per day and I get a realy it flower appearing on it if I've walked a lot :thumbup:

shanet

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
haha , i would need a whole bunch of flowers to appear on it ,i have a bit of weight to loose ,thanks i will get one .