UK GI table or sheet?

JIS

Hello all. Since diagnosis some 5 weeks ago, I have been really focussed upon keeping my BG below 8 and, through diet and exercise alone, it is working. However, I continue to get spikes when I try something different e.g. couscous. My BG shout up to 10.4 when I tested after 2 hrs, which was surprising as it was small portion and the remainder of the plate was vegetables and checken.
Anyway the purpose of this is twofold; firstly to aks whether these spikes should concern me (provided I learn from them and that they don't occur too often) and secondly, whether anyone knows of a GI tabel or sheet that I can look up key foods?
Thanks all!
John

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
the spikes do matter... and you should be looking at the carbs per 100 grams on the nutrition info as they will enable you to work out the total carbs per meal your are eating...

I've discovered that I can't eat more than 20 grams total for any meal if I want to stay within the NICE guidelines for safe blood sugar levels.

misterdj

Jis
I would echo Paul's comments. From my readings since being diagnosed in Feb i would say the spikes do matter. Trying to keep things within range on a day to day basis is good. I count the carbs and can have about 35g before i start to go too high. I've cut out most carbs and just get them from veg and have noticed big drops in bg since my diagnosis

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I would disagree with the above and say that the odd spike will have done you no harm what so ever, we all have had them and we will all still get them on odd occasions whether it be an accident a new food or simply a quirk of nature, everyone gets the odd high.

It is the frequency of spikes and high readings in general that do harm and that may lead to diabetic complications. The whole point of testing is to find out what you as an individual can safely eat and see your levels returning to normal at the 2 hour mark, if you didnt get the occasional spike or high reading it would be pointless testing wouldnt it?

Carry on testing and adjusting the portions of different foods and you will soon know instinctively what is OK for you. And remember not all carbs act the same so 20g of something like white crusty bread will generally have a much worse effect than 20g of a lower GI food. This is why it is so important to test every type of carbohydrate in different portion sizes as they all affect us differently.

JIS

Thanks Sid; this is very sound advice and was what I believed to be the case. I am off toe USA on business soon for a full week. We have thought hard on what I may be able to eat in hotels / restaurants and decided to test steak, salad and a small portion of French fries. I was expecting a result of perhaps 8-9, but actually got over 10. This told me that even a handful of French fries is not good.
I am gradually building a picture but it's clearly not easy not straightforward!

In early May I am going to Spain for 2 weeks (vacation); this will be a real challenge !! Oh boy .. :crazy:

John