Cinema trip for daughter.

sharon1969

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I wonder if anyone could advise me my daughter is 9 years old and diagnosed with diabetes type 1 in Jan., we haven't been to the cinema since she was diagnosed because of popcorn :cry: but i would like to take her tonight but confused at what to do - she is on set doses of novorapid and has 4 1/2 at teatime (she could have her tea anytime from 4pm) but if i take her to the cinema at 6pm she would want popcorn, so my question is do i give her some more insulin with her popcorn or not? She is a good eater and would prob eat quite a bit of popcorn. :roll: Thinking of saying the cinema is closed due to snow but she really wants to go. :? Any ideas would be great.
Thanks Sharon

AMBrennan

That is really something you should discuss with your GP or endo. Popcorn has quite a lot of carbs (50g/100g for butter, 80g/100g for sweet according to carbs&cals), so I think you'd need extra insulin for any more than 15g carbs.

Unfortunately, serving sizes vary and staff are unlikely to know the weight of the popcorn (never mind carbs) so that further complicates things - a guesstimate would be 25g-90g depending on serving size; if you want to be sure, buy some popcorn today, weigh it at home and take her to the cinama tomorrow or buy packaged popcorn and explain to staff that she can't have the popcorn at the cinema unless they can provide per serving nutritional information.

At the end of the day, there is no fundamental difference between the popcorn you have at the cinema and the dinner you eat at home - there is no magical excuse for not injecting insulin for the popcorn.
You might start by looking how much carbs your daughter has for dinner (fixed insulin doses implies fixed meal sizes), and then work out how much insulin she would need for the popcorn. If she usually had 50g carbs for dinner, and the popcorn was a small serving with 25g carbs then you'd give half the dose, etc.

Finally, I would assume that your daughter wants to go to the cinema to watch a movie, and would probably enjoy going to the cinema without popcorn more than not going at all, and you will probably have explained already that she can't eat randomly throughout the day because of diabetes. Tell her that you will talk to the doctor about how she can have popcorn next time.

cknmonster

Prob too late with reply now but I would give her popcorn. It's a treat and as long as your not doing it regular it shouldn't harm. She will def need extra insulin tho.

How many carbs does she have for 4.5 u insulin? Calculate using this info an estimate of how much extra insulin she will need.

Spearmint

AMBrennan said:
Finally, I would assume that your daughter wants to go to the cinema to watch a movie, and would probably enjoy going to the cinema without popcorn more than not going at all, and you will probably have explained already that she can't eat randomly throughout the day because of diabetes.

This is exactly what i do, we go to the cinema a lot over the winter and never have popcorn or sweets etc, depending on the time of day my daughter might take a cheesestrintg to eat.
Neither my daughter or other children have ever been bothered by not eating when we go to the cinema!

Also, if you are going to apply for DLA and your claim is successful then you can apply for a CEA card which would admit 1 person free as your daughter's carer.

Snodger

according to my carbs and cal app, 10g of unsweetened popcorn is 5g carbs. (EDIT: sorry AMBrennan, just noticed you've already said that)
According to the Vue cinema chain their large popcorn carton contains 220g.
So if she eats the whole thing that's 110g carbs, the equivalent of about 2 and a bit bagels, or five and a half crumpets, or just under three burger buns.

hope that helps.

sharon1969

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks to everyone who replied I really appreciate it, sorry havent said so earlier forgot my password :oops: In the end I gave her an extra unit of insulin and she was fine :D We all had a great time and then I spent the night sneaking in her room testing her :wink: Thanks again.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
sharon1969 said:
I spent the night sneaking in her room testing her :wink:

:D this reminds me of my mother. I'm 23, live with my boyfriend and haven't lived with my parents since I left for uni at 17! I was diagnosed in February and she begged me to move home (a grand 6 miles away), completely ignoring that I have a life/dog/mortgage/completely capable partner to help me. She openly admitted that it was because she wanted to test me through the night. Naturally, I put my foot down haha. I'm big enough and ugly enough to set my own alarm to get up and test when needed.

I'm going for surgery in May, a simple tonsillectomy. Once again "you have to come home. You need mummy to help you" is all I'm hearing..... It's not for another 6 weeks.

But hey, it shows she cares and wants to help. So no complaints here! It's just makes me smile to see other people also watching out for the kids so carefully.

I'm glad she enjoyed the cinema!