Getting there!

Sean20

Hello all, I'm Sean and I'm new to this forum! This is kind of an introduction as well as a success story so I suppose I've posted in the right place here.

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was taken into hospital at age 6. It was a weird thing to get used to - what child of that age WANTS to prick their fingers all the time and have injections multiple times a day?

I'm now 20 years old and it's been a tough ride. In my teen years I was constantly in and out of hospital because I hardly ever took my insulin. It was only in January last year that I felt something needed to change, after I spent 2 weeks in hospital. I had never felt as gravely ill in my life as I did during that particular month of my life. I had lost so much weight that I barely recognised myself. All of this was topped off by a doctor telling me I was going to die if I continued this way.

It was time for me to change. As I was unemployed at the time, I decided it was time for me to get a routine together that didn't involve sitting around eating as much rubbish as I wanted and neglecting my injections. I started running 3 days a week (was hard at first but an absolute breeze after a while!), eating at regular times and attended a DAFNE course so I could figure out eating habits and carb counting. I won't lie, it was tough to get my head around it all to begin with and it's always difficult to change old habits.

One of my dreams has always been to travel across the world, and I knew I'd never get to do that if I didn't take control of my condition. I've now gotten my HbA1c down to 6.1% with that motivation constantly at the forefront of my mind and I've never felt better.

The best advice I can give to someone who goes through the same phase of neglect that I did is to just think of all the things you could end up missing out on if you let diabetes get the better of you! :D

Attachments

• 15454_10151323741124648_270683593_n.jpg
    15454_10151323741124648_270683593_n.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,730
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome, what an achievement, well done Sean :clap:

You are truly inspirational and I hope you continue to go from strenght to strenght. I love this quote:-

NO ONE CAN GO BACK AND MAKE A NEW START. ANYONE CAN START FROM NOW AND MAKE A BRAND NEW ENDING.

All the very best best for the future

RRB

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sean,

You have made a lot of people feel very proud of you. "Nice One"

Hope you employment continues in this current climate regarding work.

Make sure you travel anywhere to fulfill your dreams.

Roy. :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Well done Sean. An inspiration to other members. Which one's you in the photo?

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Well done Sean. Truely inspirational :D :clap: :clap:

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.