Diddly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
Diagnosed type 1 on the 14th February.
Aged 43
Am on Novomix 30 twice daily injections, when at work there is a long gap between breakfast (6am) and lunch (1pm) was wondering if this is the best regime for me to be using as I have seen on here, multi injections, background with fast acting for spikes ie meals and so on. Must say that I am not daunted by trying different regimes just want to make sure I am on the best for my circumstances.
Many thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, welcome to the forum you will find lots of great advice here :)
I'm currently on levemir and novorapid (background and mealtime insulin) it works well as I am a mum to young children and I can't eat at set times, I sometimes don't have breakfast til later but sometimes I have it at 5am so it works well for me. It is also helpful as when I am I'll with a bug or such, if my levels raise I can quickly being them down with the novorapid fast acting.
These are the advantages for me, I've had type 1 for a couple of years now but getting there :) if you think you would do better on the mealtime and background insulins then it should be pretty easy to change, I don't see why not! Good luck

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
Very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I was on novomix 30 a few years ago. It contains a mix of long acting and short acting insulin. When I was on it I'd have to eat very regularly. Two hours after eating I'd need to have a sandwich or another carby snack. Then two hours after that I'd need to eat again.

Now I'm on Novorapid and Lantus and it gives you the flexibility to eat when you want. Of course we all need the odd snack to maintain our levels, but its much more flexible than novomix 30 and sounds more suited to you.

Also, with Novorapid you can match the dose to the amount of carbs that you eat, so it gives you much more flexibility in what you can eat too. To be honest, I'm surprised anyone is put on novomix anymore.

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
This is my last day on novomix30, tomorrow, I start on novorapid and levimir.
Novomix30 has two spikes, first one around two hours, then the second between four and five hours.
If I don't eat at or just before that second spike, I can go hypo.

iHs

As long as people who change from using twice daily regimes to bolus/basal understand carb counting and how to adjust ratios so that control of bg levels will be ok, together with doing lots of bg tests to determine the ratios, then the only thing that will be questionable is compliance.

For diabetics who are under their GP for their diabetes, I'm not sure if GPs have adequate knowledge of carb ratios and how to adjust them and although DAFNE courses exist, waiting something like 12 months to attend one is a bit worrying.

Diddly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanks for taking the time to reply all.
Am still under the control of the hospital so think I need to get in touch and see what they say !

glenmoray

You would be better off going onto a background insulin / quick acting insulin regime. With the background insulin you can either have the injection just before going to bed or as I do have it twice a day. The background insulin keeps you sugar levels around a level. ( between 6 and 8 mmol) . The quick acting is injected only when you eat to cover what you have eaten. I was on the same injections you are on and use to have lots of hypos. Since I've been on Nova Rapid and Lantus Solo Star I've been better controlled and not had any hypos.

Diddly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks again all, that's what I was thinking a background with fast acting for food spikes, seems alot more flexibility.