I dont know what to do...help me please

Very lost 101212

Hi,

My son (diagnosed in Dec 2012 type 1) is running a temp and naturally his Blood sugars are matching the high temp. Apart from keeping an eye on Ketones, if his blood sugars are high 2 hrs post meal do I keep correcting them throughout the day? what about during the night?

He is eating and drinking ok so far, but I just dont know what to do when he gets ill! Any advice would be appreciated. He is on Novorapid and Levemir at present.

I thought i was getting a grip...and now this... :cry:

:crazy: is how I feel most days , more today than others...Please help me.

Thank you all in advance.

Spearmint

Hi, sorry to hear that your son is poorly.

When my daughter is ill then i tend to test and correct every 2 hours, day and night!!
Depending on her levels and how she responds to the corrections i do sometimes have to give up to 50% more to bring levels down and if she is very high then i cut her carbs right down to help the highs and make her drink more.

Sue_c

Hi

I'd echo what Spearmint has said - a LOT more insulin is needed when they are ill.

One other thing to be aware of is if they are not eating that can cause ketones to go up also. My daughter has been ill with high blood sugars and high ketones plus a high temperature and insulin every two hours plus eating something (I just give her what she fancied just to something inside her) has worked a few times now.

Anyway - it's several hours since your first post - have things improved?

Regards

Sue

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Very lost 101212

Hi. Things seem to be okay-ish. Temperature is still there..ketones are clear. Lunch time and dinner blood sugars better. Spoke to DSN and got advised raise the insulin by 0.5 with correction. Was also told not to test during the night. But not sure my brain will allow that!

Its so unfair children have to go through this. I thought i was handling things but found myself crying whilst doing the dishes. I hope I become stronger. I can't keep crying. X

Sue_c

I'm glad he's a little bit better..

The first few times they are ill is really hard - you don't know enough to know what to try. I took my daughter to the hospital (there was an open door policy in the children's ward) a couple of times in the early days - the first time because she'd been sick twice, a rule set by our DSN, "twice sick - go straight to the hospital", the second time she had high ketones and a high temperature (DSN was on holiday so couldn't be called for advice) only to be told she had tonsillitis - I was so embarrassed - but I just didn't know what else to do.

As time goes on you'll learn more and more and eventually you'll feel more confident dealing with it alone.

Don't be upset - congratulate yourself for coping and for all the extra knowledge you've gained today.

I'm sure I'd test tonight too - most other parents would do exactly the same. A few minutes sleep is not much to exchange for peace of mind. Your DSN probably expects you will too!

Sue

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App