Sugar Free Squash

TheMillers05

I have recently found out my son has type 1 diabetes. Please can someone suggest where to buy 'sugar free' squash from as we have been informed he cant have 'no added sugar'. I have tried Asda, Tesco, Co-op, Sainsburys and Lidl with no joy. There are plenty of sugar free fizzy but non to dilute.
Any suggestions? :D

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I have to admit I thought this would be easy to answer but after looking for it on the net I couldn't find any, we'll nothing that sounded like kid friendly flavours sorry, good luck

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did see once on the net in asda from robinsons. Was labelled sugar free! Still yet to find one in stores though :(

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have no added sugar squash and they don't affect my levels. The lemon or lime ones contain the least amount of sugar. Most will have 1-3g carbs per glass, which won't effect my levels, but I'm a fully grown 29 year old! Best to look out for the labels that tell you per 250ml glass, these labels are normally on the front of the bottle.

You can definitely buy sugar free squash I find it everywhere apart form marks and Spenser you can find it in waitrose , morrisons ,co op ( has to be quite a big one ) and other super markets I have have had lots of flavours like peach , orange , mixed berries etc they do look extremely like the normall ones do maybe just look on th front and should say sugar free x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morrisons sell the Robinson's no added sugar squashes and they also have their own brand. I have a couple of bottles here, apple and apple and blackcurrant. 100 ml of the concentrate has 1.2 g of sugar and a 250 ml diluted glass, mix 1 + 4 has 0.6g sugar.

Note, it's No Added Sugar, not quite the same as Sugar Free. Presumably what there is from the fruit.

TheMillers05

Thanks everyone, I'm going to go and see what I can find and look at the contents in no added sugar. A very steep learning curve for us. Thanks.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I drink no added sugar Robinsons. 2.4g per 200ml glass. I'm 23 but fairly petite and it has no effect on me. I imagine your son wouldn't drink as much as I do so it could be ok provided he doesn't drink it constantly. I have about 3 glasses a day. Check his levels before and after and see if you can spot a rise

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also drink it very weak, but I did that pee-diagnosis anyway

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yorksman said:
Morrisons sell the Robinson's no added sugar squashes and they also have their own brand. I have a couple of bottles here, apple and apple and blackcurrant. 100 ml of the concentrate has 1.2 g of sugar and a 250 ml diluted glass, mix 1 + 4 has 0.6g sugar.

Note, it's No Added Sugar, not quite the same as Sugar Free. Presumably what there is from the fruit.

I've just re-read that. I thought what the bottle said was the diluted quantities. This is good news then, I can drink more :D

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you have a look, generally no added sugar squashes have blue lids. Anything with a green lid normally has sugar added.

alisoningold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes stick to blue lids that's good advice! I drink the no added sugar and it doesn't affect me at all... Would be interesting to know who told you he can't drink it as nobody on here seems to be affected by it xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SandraR

Hi

My son is 16 and was diagnosed with T1 at age 11. He regularly and freely drinks the Robinson's No Added Sugar drinks. Although there is a little sugar in it, its not sufficient to be an issue. The same with childrens' meds - if there isn't a sugar-free version, I would go ahead and give a regular one on the basis that a 5g teaspoon of sugary syrup really isn't going to be a big deal.

When my lad was first diagnosed, I spent ages in supermarkets - reading labels and being very conscious of choosing diabetes-friendly items. Now, I just buy as normal and we adjust his insulin to suit what he is consuming, by carb-counting.

I like to repeat a saying which is popular with parents of children with T1 and that is ....."There are only 2 things he/she cannot have 1) Poison and 2) Any food or drink that has poison in it".

Just be careful when buying fizzy drinks from 'the tap' in food and drink outlets. You may not always be served with the diet version when you order it. Best to buy in cans/bottles whenever possible. I have heard it said you can test your soft drink using either your BG meter or urine sticks if you really want to check!

Best wishes.

LaughingHyena

I found several of the big chains also do "high juice" no added sugar squashes. As they are a much higher % fruit juice they do have more sugar per glass. I prefer the taste of them but do limit myself to the odd glass now and then.

Difnatly worth checking the bottles so you know what you are getting.

When I was fisrt diagnosed (and still to some extent now) I've found the supermarket websites really helpful. Most of them now seem to have the nutritional information for a lot of producs on there. Much nicer to work it all out with a cup of tea at home than trying to read everythignn while I'm shopping.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
LaughingHyena said:
I found several of the big chains also do "high juice" no added sugar squashes. As they are a much higher % fruit juice they do have more sugar per glass. I prefer the taste of them but do limit myself to the odd glass now and then.

Thanks for that. I'll look out for those. Whilst my apple juice was OK, it was well short of a proper apple juice. I know it can't be the same but I think it can be closer.

Lovelylivpet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Why cant he have no added sugar? I know hat no ADDED sugar means that there could be some sugar in the drink alrealdy, but I have it and it dosn't push my levels up. It may just be my weird self that that happens tome :roll:

LaughingHyena

Yorksman said:
LaughingHyena said:

Thanks for that. I'll look out for those. Whilst my apple juice was OK, it was well short of a proper apple juice. I know it can't be the same but I think it can be closer.

ASDA have a few no added sugar carton drinks too, The cranberry and raspberry is quite nice. Again a few more carbs per glass than the no added suagr squash but not bad as a treat. Tesco used to have one too but I haven't been able to find it for a while.

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-esto...14921923747&aisleid=1214921924963&startValue=

Drinks have been the hardest part for me, I used to drink at least a glass of fruit juice a day. At home it's nto to bad but it's a pain when out as I don't drink anythign fizzy either.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't understand why no-added sugar squashes aren't ok.... I was told they are absolutely fine from when I was diagnosed at age 11 and that was 20 years ago.

Like someone said, the figures on the bottle are usually for the neat undiluted liquid and even that's a small amount of sugar. Once water is added the sugar is only negligible; a trace amount. And that's why I don't understand why you've been told it's not ok to drink.

I drink Robinsons no-added sugar squashes all the time with zero effect on my blood sugar.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cold filtered water and add a squeeze of any citrus fruit such as lemon,lime or both!