Pump!

Billietobin

Hello my names Billie and I'm 15 I have been diabetic since I was 3 but I always wanted to now if having the pump hurts I'm scared of having operations but I just want advice for the moment.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lyndesay

Hi Billie, I'm Lyndesay, I have been a Diabetic for 27 years, have been using a pump for just over 2 months. I wouldn't say that it hurts at all, it does take time to get used to it but I definitely recommend it to anyone, has improved my blood sugars big time!! :grin:

xAngelax

Dislikes
being skint!
Hi Billie, I'm 22 and have had my pump for almost a year now and I love it, if you look on youtube there are a lot of videos showing you how to insert the cannula for the pump which I found useful to look at, if you have any questions feel free to message me :) x

karla0304

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there.

I've been using the pump for about 10 years now. I can say that it's amazing, it's helped me to maintain low blood results and administers the insulin at a more natural rate.

I've been abroad on numerous occasions with it. It does raise some eyebrows when clearing customs coming back to the UK but never from the departing side for some reason.

As far as pain is concerned, you are aware that you are wearing something and you have to remember that there is something attached to you ( it will be there 24/7). Sometimes if you forget you can feel a tug on your stomach as a reminder.

If infection is an issue then because you are reducing the number of sites used then I've found that this has dropped.

To close. I wouldn't be without mine. It's an amazing piece of equipment and definitely one of the best thing on the market.

Good luck.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Basically...

The pump user has to programme the pump to give insulin.
This is initially done with your diabetic nurse, but after a while the pump user must be prepared to programme the pump themselves.
The pump delivers insulin constantly according to the data in it.
When you eat you have to tell the pump how many carbohydrates you are eating... And again according to the data that is programmed in to the pump, the pump will push the insulin into you instead of having to give a fast acting bolus injection.
You have a very small either steel or plastic needle in you, connected to the pump which you will have to change every 2-3 days.
You do not feel the constant background insulin going in you or the bolus's.
It is a lot nicer than injecting, but initially more blood tests and learning to get the pump set up right.