Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, ok for my next experiment I've just murdered a butternut squash, it's basically pumpkin like thingy, I followed a recipe for chips/fries WOW Fantastic! I had them with sausages simply terrific, I haven't had chips which I love since diagnosis 7ish weeks ago, I will have these a lot, they aren't the same as chips but they are very dang close, just brilliant and my best experiment to date, -and the easiest too

I hope someone isn't gonna tell me they are full of carbs?

I had loads of the butternut left so I followed another recipe for butternut squash crisps, I totally over seasoned them salt pepper then half with chives and other half with Cajun spice, they were great, just great but my mouth is now on fire even after 3 glasses of water but I live and learn huh

Generally though butternut squash is wonderful me thinks and it will always be in the shopping trolley next to the cauliflower

:)

merrymax69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I do a gorgeous curried butternut squash soup, really tasty!! I too am hoping no one says theyre totally loaded with carbs!!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Ahh, sounds good that's the next thing ill try it with :)

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Ive just made butternut squash soup with cauliflower and curry powder.....yum!!

In my Collins gem carb counter it says Squash flesh only 50g = 1.1g carb so thats great!

If you like butternut squash chips, try celeriac chips i love them! Be careful with sweet potato though, I made some chips with them as people on here mentioned them but my BG shot through the roof. Then I looked them up and they have nearly as many carbs as normal potatos.

Good luck with your experimenting!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Maybe I should try celeriac, I was put of trying it as someone on here said it was terrible, yikes ill miss the sweet potatoe out then :)

Very pleased to here the butternut is safe thanks

merrymax69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for butternut squash info, I think its a great veg and glad my fave soup is safe!! :clap:

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chips from a squash?
You either coated them in oil and baked them or deep fried right?
Really depends what you're frying in , keep the squash sliced fat and use an olive oil or a rapeseed oil.
Or coat the "chips" in. Little oil with garlic and rosemary then bake and serve with an Aoli.(garlic mayo).
It can go mushy however you cook it and you overdo it, particularly if you deep fry and have the oil not hot enough as the squash absorbs the oil rather than cooking like a fat chip.
Another way is to char grill it, (slice it thin then though), and toss into a lambs leaf salad with an Apple cider vinegar vinaigrette.
Its also great in a good old ruby.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, i chooped them mostly quite fat but, some i chopped in various thicknesses to see what worked better, then used fry light spray on a baking sheet paper stuff, layed out the chips added a little salt over the top then cooked on a high oven for 20 minutes then turned and cooked for another 20mins the edges were just starting to go black the thinner ones were frazzled and went in the bin :), with the crisps i sliced then super thin, boiled them in a big pot for 2 minutes, then patted them dry on..... was supposed to be kitchen towel but i didnt have any so i used.....yup..... toilet roll lmao didnt mention that to the wife and kids who tried them, then onto the baking sheet and brushed olive oil over them, i was tempted to try the almond oil but followed the recipe, then went heavy on the herbs (mistake). :)
ill have to try them the way you have mentioned sounds great.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Andy - and everyone else!

Butternut squash is 8.9g carb per 100g raw weight according to my calories, carbs and fat bible. Butternut squash chips are lovely, but the squash is quite heavy and I find I can only have a small portion before it spikes me (although I'm LADA and take insulin, so you'll need to test before and 2 hours after eating it to see what effect it has on you).

Celeriac chips are OK, but I prefer butternut squash - butternut squash roast 'potatoes' are also preferable to celeriac ones in my book and go particularly well with roast lamb I find. In terms of lower carb chips, I use swede - cut a swede into chips, cover in a little melted butter and put in the oven for about 25 minutes turning occasionally. Swede is only 5g carb per 100g raw weight, so you can have a bigger portion :)

Smidge