Lantus v Levemir

Spangle79

Hi people. I am trying to sort out this diabetes but dont have much luck. I am wondering what is the difference between Lantus and Levemir? How long does each last and are there any peaks in each background insulin?

I am trying to go back to basics to sort out fluctuating highs and lows for no reason.

Rachael

Lucyturner

I have been wondering the same thing. I have been diagnosed for about a year and still have ridiculous hi's and lows with no idea why. I use Lantus and I have to split my dose. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

slimtony

Hi,

I've tried both Lantus and Levemir, and currently use Levemir 3 times daily. For me, both insulins have a shorter and slightly sharper action than perhaps the manufacturers intended. I found Levemir to be the more stable and reliable of the two. I don't notice any discernible peak with Levemir, whereas I noticed a slight peak at 4-5 hours with Lantus (when used twice daily).

You really need to try, test and see for yourself with these insulins because the profile that you see will vary wildly between individuals and also vary depending on their choice of injection site. Some people can happily match their basal needs with just a single shot of Lantus per day. The rest of us have to work a little harder. :)

Pickledeeyore

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I use levermir twice a day but in quite large doses. But these have brought my readings down in to single figures which is a good thing. But I have noticed that when doing the injections it's a bit harder to get the levermir in to my leg, other times I have no problem..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well both are insulin analogues and are background insulin's, the profile for levemir states that it last for 18 - 24 hours but some people find they need to inject this insulin twice daily (split dose). The profile for lantus is 24 hours, most people do find it last the full durations but there are a few who don't.

I use lantus and have done for several years now.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with Noblehead. When I started a month or so back on Levemir I Googled the web for info and comparisons with Lantus. Levemir typically only lasts for 18 hours which is why many do a split dose. Lantus does appear to last 24 hours. I inject late at night to take account of the 18 hour 'life' of Levemir. The only other difference I've gathered from the web is that Lantus can sometimes sting a bit as it is slightly acid. As I've never used it this is purely web-based info.

glaves_r1991

Levimir peaks at about 4/5 hours and lasts roughly 12 hours in most and around 18 in others lantis peaks at the same time as levimir but generally last for 18 to 24 hours depending the the injection sites. For analogue insulin the best to inject is the buttocks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App