How old were you when you were diagnosed?

How old were you when you were diagnosed?

• 0-5

Votes: 50 12.8%
  • 6-10

Votes: 36 9.2%
  • 11-15

Votes: 35 8.9%
  • 16-21

Votes: 39 9.9%
  • 22-30

Votes: 46 11.7%
  • 31-40

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 52 13.3%
  • 51-60

Votes: 48 12.2%
  • 60+

Votes: 37 9.4%

• Total voters
Right on my first birthday, 27 years ago. By my mum, who's a doctor. When I was diagnosed, didn't have any family history of diabetes. Now my brother and my mum have diabetes.

5 years ago I diagnosed my brother, and got him started on Novorapid and Lantus before he could get an appointment to see GP.

Lucyturner

I was only diagnosed about a year ago at the age of 28 and still struggling.

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Nayomini

I was diagnosed last year, at 45. My mother is a diabetic but I was very careful with my diet, I exercise and never thought I would become diabetic. When I did, I was in shock and denial for a while. Now I have come to terms with it and think as a result, I and my husband and children eat healthier because of it. I lost a lot of weight I should have lost anyway, since I was put on Metformin. But at times, it still bothers me, especially when faced with a dessert I particularly like. I am not a sugar fanatic but like some desserts. When on holiday in Italy, I had to watch the kids enjoy their gelato but could not eat it and that was a bit upsetting. But on the whole, I have learnt to live with it.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 aged 12. Was very very sick and when doctor came he said it was flu. My father asked if it might be diabetes the doctor laughed. That night I went in to a coma which lasted for 26 hours. Woke up in intensive care. Took a long time to recover from

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Type2 - 46 yrs old straight after both pneumonia and septis infection .
[took me 10months to get over all of these] :shock:

superdom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being told I can't have this and that
Been diabetic since I was 2 and 50 weeks. No idea about my health at the time.
That'll make it over 33 years since diagnosis.
Remember the date because my mum left the maternity ward after having my sister and came to stay in hospital with me. Busy time for my family

Lucyturner

I was 28 when I was diagnosed type 1 after going through pretty much every test possible, the only one my doctor didn't ask for was a blood glucose test I am still going through tests though as after a year my sugars are still not under control and they think I may be epileptic as well.