Help please

AnnieT

Dislikes
Crowded places
Hello everyone. I was diagnosed with type 2 about 4 weeks ago and I take metformin and I am on a low carb diet and of course almost no sugar. I am sticking to it well. However I am still all over the place with my blood sugar. Yesterday evening before I ate I was 7.3 and now before lunch I am 13.9. When I was first tested at the doctor with the monitoring kit it was 25 !!

I do need to lose weight and I have already lost 4kg, but how on earth can I get control before I look like a super model? I am feeling panicky and depressed and I would really welcome any advice or just support. I feel like I'm doing all the right things but it's having limited effect - will that change?

Sabrena

Hi Annie T
Don't panic I'm also newly diagnosed in January and I'm still getting to grips with it all. I was on metformin but had side effects so on sitagliptin now I'm only three days into it and my sugars have gone up again but I'm on a low carb diet and hopefully my sugars will drop. I test 4 times a day and I've learnt after eating what makes my sugars rise it's a learning process we can't be expected to no it all straight away and there are fantastic people on here who can advise better than me your not in it alone plus you have done really well to get from 25 down to what you have so your heading in the right direction you should be pleased with that . Take care

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Annie and welcome to the forum :)

I see you have understood that the low carb diet is helpful to your levels but perhaps a little more information would be useful. This is the information we give to new members which hopefully you will find interesting. Ask all the questions you need to and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Annie
It takes time to learn all you need to know and time for your system to adapt. You seem very motivated and I'm sure you'll succeed in your objectives
Hana

AnnieT

Dislikes
Crowded places
Thank you so much, it helps just knowing you understand. Thank you as well for all the information

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, im 7ish weeks in and i was similar to yourself, i went from 2x 500g met a day to 4x because i was averaging 14`s and they went down to 6`s & 7`s i still get really weird readings like 9 before food 5.5 2 hours later, i have been told as previously mentioned that it takes a while for things to settle down :) so here we are

AnnieT

Dislikes
Crowded places
Oh great I'm not completely unique then! That does make me feel better. Does anyone else feel much better in the afternoons than the mornings? I am feeling very much better than when I wrote this post now both mentally and physically, and it seems to happen every day - good job I work from home!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
to be honest ive never felt better, ive lost a stone and a half and go to the gym all the time, i am getting fitter and healthier by the day (never did any exercise before diag) my only struggle is not eating all the evil foods i used to, im ok when im not hungry but as soon as i get hungry i start thinking about food and get down but hey ho all in all the harder we work the better it will get :)

Lozzybabyw

2 years ago I could hardly walk & I have been fortunate to bring my health back to a better footing. I suffer pain daily too even now & also have breathing & heart rate issues so I know where you're coming from. I learnt that the oily fish, almonds & walnuts are good food for bringing you out of the slump moods when suffering in pain etc.. I tried it thinking no chance! It helped me:) My child now offers me nuts if she thinks I'm getting grumpy;-) Or suggests my favourite of pilchards to me;-) I eat porridge every morning or weetabix then for lunch I have a cuppa soup or a mug shot & dinner a bit of meat & normally raw salad veg etc an egg is normally added & the yoke is my dressing. It is easier:) Green tea is great too. you can get it flavoured;-) also then keeping with that on my hungrier days I can have extra food if I feel the need & do.. Mini chedders seem to be good. I may put a little potato too & if I have cheese I melt it on & that moistens it enough without margarine.. I changed my milk to red top too & my sugar went to Splenda granulated.. I use an app called fitness pal on my phone.. you set what calories you want to burn each day & the rate of weight that you would like to lose.. It shows you exactly what you are eating sugar carbs vitamins fat etc.. You see exactly where you are going wrong with food.. You can scan the barcode & it tells you what's in your food:) You can then decide to change it for something else:) I set myself another rule.. I keep moving.. I take my pain killers as prescribed not just when feeling pain! It helps build up a stronger pain barrier that you feel less in the long run & my 2nd rule keep moving until it is starting to be too much. Anything that i can do by getting up & moving no matter how small.. Then I'll sit down. If it's bad all the time, as was for me where I couldn't walk.. I got a circulation booster called a health instrument.. It's in pharmacy's for £200 odd but I saved for a long long time but got it on eBay for£70 though last I saw it was down to £50 with tummy belt & a tens machine attached.. It is the best thing:) It helps until you have more freedom to move more freely. The other thing I do is make sure I get enough sleep for me what I need.. I know after 6hrs I will feel ill the next day so I target for no more than that unless my body is needing it from bad nights! I am on my way to losing almost a stone:)
My heart goes out to you too Here's a hug we all need one from time to time. I'm not saying you have to do this. This worked for me & by sharing my story If I could help just one person then it's worth doing:) Take care