feeling down

amyleah

Hi my daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 3 and a half weeks ago she is 3 and a half years old. My brother has diabetes and was diagnosed when he was 8 he is now 32 so I have been around someone with diabetes most of my life. when she was diagnosed I stuck my head in books, didn't get emotional and just kept saying if my daughter can do this than I as her mother can look after her and support her whenever she needs me. The first two weeks were really good we didn't really have to change her diet as she loves her carbs and fruit etc...I thought chocolate would be like taking a dummy away from a baby but she didn't even care as I swapped the chocolate for raisins and belvita biscuits, she is getting better with the injections and prick tests she even has started to get everything ready for me :). But in the last week her readings have been low, the lowest it has gone is 3.1, I feel like im forgetting what to do if a hypo happens and keep questioning myself, I don't spend anytime with my husband as I keep thinking what if I do something wrong so I just keep active by organising food, weekly food diaries etc , if I do something wrong, my daughter is relying on me. I also gave birth 9 weeks ago and feel like I don't give my son enough attention and my eldest daughter is 8 and is having to help me with chores etc. How much can I learn about diabetes and still feel like I don't know anything :/, I thought having a brother with diabetes would of helped but how I felt a week ago all confident and full of energy has now dipped, I feel so guilty feeling this way as its not me having the needles and prick tests and yearly checks etc . Any advice will be much appreciated.

mumsey

Hi, My 10 year old son was diagnosed only a month ago, so i dont know how much help i can be, but my son has entered a strong honeymoon period, where he was constantly hypo we have now dropped the amount of units he was having which was a bit trial and error at first to see which ones his body was relying on and which ones were causing the hypos but we are at a stable level now.
We are not carb counting yet just on set doses when he eats.
It sound like you have been doing an amazing job with all that you have to cope with.
Just take a deep breath and possibly have a chat with your nurse. Just go with the flo!! :thumbup:

amyleah

thank you for taking time to post. I have left a message for the nurse to get back to me, hopefully she will today. I've registered with local diabetes community as they do sponsors runs, walks and parties for children which I think is very important. I'm sure that once her blood levels look more levelled out I can start relaxing. How is your son coping? How are you coping?

jasperc

Hi Amy
My 9 year old was diagnosed a month ago- it seems more like a year! I cried for most of the first week but now things have fallen into place and we are coping incredibly well. He's back at school and me work. His insulin dose has dropped to very low amounts as he is honeymooning and I am nervous if hypos- we to had a 3.4, though he seemed ok, which is nerve wracking!! I really never thought we'd get to where we are now, but it gets easier.
Best of luck,
Tracy

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

amyleah

Hi Tracy,
Thanks for taking time to post. Its good to know others are having same blood sugar levels and that it is normal even though I know this its different when you talk to someone who also has those levels. Im glad things are on the up for you I guess im having my bad patch a couple weeks late, would of been nice to have it at the start. what kind of foods does your boy eat it would be good to get different food ideas so im not just giving my daughter same kind of meals etc

jasperc

He has weetabix with full fat milk for breakfast, at school for lunch jr takes a whole meal roll with cheese/ ham/ tina. He also has a bag of 'healthier' crisps and fruit. Dinners are chicken with past/ rice/ potatoes, spaghetti Bolognese, jacket potatoes with cheese, roast dinners, he snacks on squash lollies or sugar free jellies. Food hasn't really changed very much, we just have to count carbs and avoid the sweet stuff!!

amyleah

Thank you for that, it has given me some ideas especially the lollies i dont know why i didnt think of that before :thumbup: i feel alot better about her sugar level today :) i feel quite lucky that my daughter didnt really eat alot of sweets before so im able to give her other foods. she is happy that she is getting a present for easter instead of chocolate

Traceylh

Hi Amy, my daughter was diagnosed 5 weeks ago, she is coping very well, but we are having a lot of lows at the moment, I am very panicky about it also and always worrying if I will remember what to do, but some how I do remember, it dose get that little bit easer every day
If you ever want to chat just pm me
Xx

Deirdrekp

Hi Amy, you sure do sound like your hands are full. Hopefully your husband is supportive and helping as much as he can. I'm only a two months into this with my 9 year old daughter, I have dropped her insulin and she only has 4units of a morning and 1 at night, and she still goes low if doing lots of exercise. I have found sugar free chocolate that she has when her brothers have a treat and sugar free ice cream when pudding is allowed. I am thinking about getting an alarm of some sort to remind me to check her levels during busy days, as I worry I will forget. Maybe your older child also could help to test and check her bs level for you at times.